Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely I'll catch some stink-eye for this, but after doing much research on the new Indian motorcycles, I've decided to take one for a test ride when I can, and if it feels right, I'm going Indian. I've owned four HDs in the past, from an old shovel, to a new RK, Springer and Heritage classic. The Indian specs and looks are beautiful. The Chrome is gorgeous, and they use LEATHER (stunning to look at, but not maintenenace free). The engine follows the design of the earliest V-twins. Very impressive. I'll see how it goes. I'm not brand-dedicated unless the brand is totally dedicated to improvements and the consumer. There are issues which Harley still has not addressed...one of them being sub-standard internal cam chain tension adjustment and cheap chrome on their high-end "custom" models.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My wife bought a '13 Sportster this year but still wants to take a Scout for a test drive. My concern is the closest dealer is over 70 miles from here. Maybe in the spring.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
No stink eye by staying American :)

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,806 Posts
Was down in arkansas and ran across a Indian dealership in the making. I'm sure more to follow and if sales go well so will everything else Indian related.
I love Harleys and have no plans of switching, but after some dealer/moco related Issues people I know have had.... I say go for it and more power to anyone going Indian.. maybe it will make moco take customers loyalty more attention...maybe:eek

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Good luck. I like the indians also. I know they are made by Polaris now but they are much cooler and better looking than a Polaris.
Good Luck & keep us informed.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
The motors that Indian uses are far superior to anything that Harley makes! Their motors are light-years ahead of current Harley designs. Unlike Harley motors, Indian motors are modern designs that are not made to start having bearing failures before the bike is paid off.

The only problem that I have with Indian motorcycles is that I just don't like how they look. I am way over their stylized, enormous fenders and the Scout looks like it came out of a Tonka-Toys box at Wal-Mart. It is an ugly motorcycle.

I have been told that none of the parts used in the manufacture of Indian motorcycles are made in places like: North Korea, China, Indonesia and India - that is something that Harley Davidson cannot say! If you took all of the foreign-made parts off of a Harley, you could probably carry what was left off the showroom floor in a grocery bag.

Pete

Surely I'll catch some stink-eye for this, but after doing much research on the new Indian motorcycles, I've decided to take one for a test ride when I can, and if it feels right, I'm going Indian. I've owned four HDs in the past, from an old shovel, to a new RK, Springer and Heritage classic. The Indian specs and looks are beautiful. The Chrome is gorgeous, and they use LEATHER (stunning to look at, but not maintenenace free). The engine follows the design of the earliest V-twins. Very impressive. I'll see how it goes. I'm not brand-dedicated unless the brand is totally dedicated to improvements and the consumer. There are issues which Harley still has not addressed...one of them being sub-standard internal cam chain tension adjustment and cheap chrome on their high-end "custom" models.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
00flsts-
was down in rogers, ark. a month ago or so, and stopped at the indian dealer there. they do make a good-looking line of motorcycles! I didn't ride one, because i'm not thinking of trading yet. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for owning one. in a few years, I might consider it myself, but for now, i'll stay with my street glide.
good luck on your decision, and keep us updated on the outcome!
regards,
dave

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
Everyone should ride whatever they want, that's what I say.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
It's all good, ride what makes you happy. (As long as, it isn't a Gold Wing.) Just be sure to show up at the collision. :)

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
We now have a dealer 2 mi from me , there's alot I like about them but the retro Indian styling isn't my taste , they should add a couple of modern looking models to the line up ..... less fender might be more IMO.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I tested a Chieftain last April. It was awesome. Power, ride ability, and good price. Looks, no. Paint not that great.
I do wish there were two or three American motor companies to maybe get the Harley dealers to remember customer service.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Who cares what you ride. An opinion of someone else shouldn't weigh that much. To me it's like saying, "I'm no longer buying Smith & Wesson and going to Ruger." I looked at one after 20 years Harley only. I just didn't think it was a good value compared to Ultra with GPS and trunk for $1k more. I also didn't like cheap looking grips and speaker grills. Lastly my Lt. Reminded me I have Harley-Davidson tattooed on my clavicle, Harlistas Para LA Vida on my arm and two other HD tats. Lmao. Have fun riding it. I think you'll find the Ultra is better than the Chieftain but if looking at Classic Chief; hell go for it.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Keep in mind that Harley Davidson is not an "American manufacturer." Harley Davidson is a publicly held company that assembles parts and components from all over the world and calls the final product 'American made.'

As much as I like my Dyna, there is no way that I would ever buy another new Harley. The company does not give a damn about quality or good design. They are in it for the money. No company that cares about the quality of their product would have ever designed or manufactured the twin-cam engine.

The automatic primary chain tensioner is a failure and the inner primary bearing that supports the transmission shaft and clutch is even worse. Harley knows about these issues and will not change them.

If you want a real piece of Harley design work, buy one of their bikes with the water-cooled heads. They can't even fix those dogs once they start leaking.

Pete

I tested a Chieftain last April. It was awesome. Power, ride ability, and good price. Looks, no. Paint not that great.
I do wish there were two or three American motor companies to maybe get the Harley dealers to remember customer service.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Indian

I rode a Victory Cross Country,Indian Chieftain AndHD Streetglide. I liked the feel of lightness on the Victory,the engine of the Indian, the styling of the Harley. Of the three I rode the fit and finish of the Harley was the best. Victory had the best price,Indian had a edge on quality of materials overall. Tough decision, but in the end the deal at the HD shop was better for me, I was trading a 09 FXSTC, so a 14SGS currently resides in my garage. If I could have blended the three the perfect bike could be had. If the Mrs decides she wants a bike we'll do the same thing. Competition is good buy what fits you and just ride!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Can't argue with your logic, ride your own ride, that goes for the two wheels ya have under ya too! My BIL has an Indian, nice bike he loves it. To be honest, I have a bit of a soft spot for Indian, thats the first motorcycle... and last that my Dad rode. For an entire 4 days, till his dad found out and made em sell it.

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck. I like the indians also. I know they are made by Polaris now but they are much cooler and better looking than a Polaris.
Good Luck & keep us informed.
Thanks. Also the Victory has no association with the Indian aside from the owner (Some people compare the two).

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We now have a dealer 2 mi from me , there's alot I like about them but the retro Indian styling isn't my taste , they should add a couple of modern looking models to the line up ..... less fender might be more IMO.
I'm with you on that. I like retro, but also would like to see a less "endowed" naked model come out.

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll bet they're eyeballing Indian and their ratings rather close about now. At least they should be. And customer service is nearly as important as the bike itself IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts