Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, just joined, bought my first Harley a few weeks ago, though I have wanted one for many years. I have a 1200 Sportster, 1990 vintage, four speed.

I hail from England, so please excuse any grammatical errors in my posts, two great nations divided by a common language etc.

:rofl:

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
"Sunny" England

Ran across this video today you might find interesting, called Brittown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvzWA_qOyI&feature=related

I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath for 3 years and ran with some blokes from HDRGB. I think you'll find that we're not that different after all, even though "ya'll shore do talk funny", and we drive on the correct side of the road. :D

We've had a fair number of Brit bikes in our family including Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs...

Dad on his Bonnie:

Here's my brother on his '69 Triumph chop.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Morning all, just joined, bought my first Harley a few weeks ago, though I have wanted one for many years. I have a 1200 Sportster, 1990 vintage, four speed.
:
A 4 speed? Really? You sure you didn't just lose count? I though all Evo Sporties were 5 speeds.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Welcome to our lil' corner of the Internet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome guys. Kainam, my dad was in the RAF all his working life, based mainly at RAF Cosford, but when I was a kid we moved all over the south of England to different bases.

Mine is the four speed chain drive Sporty, a year later and it would have been five speed rubber band drive. :D

I'm currently working in the Gulf of Mexico, so I'm not as far away as y'all think. ;)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
The sportster wasn't a 5-speed until 1991, when it also came available with (although most came with) belt drive.
Just when you think you know something...

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to this board, too!

Hey King Herald, I've been browsing these type of boards for years, lots of great info. Been to England once, London to be exact. Great place to vacation...if you can afford it. Weak dollar to pound makes for a $40.00 USD breakfast for two. Sunday morning was dead until around mid-day then the busses unloaded the caravans...or it would seem. Weather was to die for...Northern California Central Valley is an oven in the summer...I'm sure other states have this 'problem' too. Great for growing crops; sucks for hand shovel ditch digging.
:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey King Herald, I've been browsing these type of boards for years, lots of great info. Been to England once, London to be exact. Great place to vacation...if you can afford it. Weak dollar to pound makes for a $40.00 USD breakfast for two. Sunday morning was dead until around mid-day then the busses unloaded the caravans...or it would seem. Weather was to die for...Northern California Central Valley is an oven in the summer...I'm sure other states have this 'problem' too. Great for growing crops; sucks for hand shovel ditch digging.
:cheers:
I haven't been to London for a long time, too pricey and crowded for me.
I work in the USA, well, offshore USA, get paid in US$, but I live in England, so I get to 'enjoy' that reverse effect of the dollar/pound weakness. :mad:

Mind you, I will be scouting about in New Orleans in a few weeks to find some Harley bits at US prices. :D

I hear a shop called New Orleans Harley Davidson is the place to go? They seem to have a couple of separate branches in town.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Offshore... you workin' on an oil rig? COOLNESS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts