Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Making a quick trip up to Laconia from central PA for a few days at start of bike week. Trying to mix a little bit of Interstate with some 2 lane scenic roads to see the sights but still make ok time due to short duration of trip. Several route options...just looking for any suggestions on "must see" roads/routes, specifically in Eastern NY and western/central CT/MA. Entering NY on 209 near Port Jervis, NY and then looking at different ways North and East from there to end up near Concord, NH. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!!!

Ride Safe!
Bill:feedback:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow...nothing at all?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
sorry man!! Didn't see this one!
There are so many good ones I don't know where to start. Depends too on how out of the way you are willing to go. To make it easy, almost any state route you choose is gonna be dang nice. Really. Don't over think it. To name a few that come to mind that are nice in NY
990v

I don't even know...to damn many that are nice to list. Anywhere is port Jervis....you won't regret

Anywhere in Vermont if you drift that way you won't forget.
7 in Vermont is freaking gorgeous. As well ad the Burlington area and any of the mountains. There is almost no bad way to go. Come up with a route or 2, post on here. That way I can get the basic idea of how far you want to go. Then point out good roads along the way.
Would that help possibly?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XLR - thanks for the feedback. There are SO many options - I was looking at entering southern NY at Port Jervis by PA/NY/NJ border on 209 near I-84. From there I can either stay headed NE on 209 towards Kingston (a) or cut East on I-84 towards Danbury, CT (b):

(a) from Kingston, figure out best place to cross over the Hudson and proceed north on the Taconic pkwy or up 22 near CT/MA border. With either of these options, taking 7 to Bennington, VT and then 9 across into NH and on to Concord to Hotel. Any suggestions for the best options from Port Jervis, NY to Bennington? Is Taconic Pkwy a good option? I know I'm kind of looking for best of both worlds - scenic but not too "slow" for too long so I can make it in a day.

(b) from Port Jervis, NY: Taking I-84 towards Danbury, CT and then cutting north on 7/202 to 7 and continuing north into Mass OR 7/202 to New Milford, New Preston, and then taking 118 towards Torrington and north on 8 up into Mass. With either of these options, need to find the best spot to work my way east towards I-91 to head north to Brattleboro, VT where I'll hook up with option (a) and take 9 across NH to Concord.

Hope this isn't too scatterbrained!!! If anybody has some "must see" suggestions near these options I'd be grateful for the insight. Looking forward to the ride and hoping the weather forecast improves (warmer and dryer!).

Thanks again (in advance) for any suggestions - if anybody else is headed to Laconia and wants to say "hey" I'm on a '11 Merlot Sunglo FLHX SG with pinstripe fairing/fenders/tank/bags, etc. with V&H two into two big radius with Kuryakyn high 5 mach 2 air cleaner.

take care,
Bill

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I looked over what you read and looked at a map at the same time. I think all of those options are good. Basically though, and state routes going through even a small place like Port Jervis will slow down to 30-45 for vat least a little. It really depends on what you are willing to sacrifice time wise. I would personally hit state routes in NY, hit up 84, then hit some more in Connecticut and definitely state routes in Vermont. Then, hop on 91 when you want to and you're golden. Best of both worlds I think. Like I said I shall make a map. What is your total mileage and hour limit so I can work that into my suggested routes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 460 miles total to cover between home in PA and the Hotel near Concord,NH. Leaving after work tomorrow afternoon and driving maybe 180-240 miles which will leave only 220-280 on Thursday with a plan to arrive in area by no later than about 4 pm (plan to be started on road by 7 am thursday).

Thanks again for your input...We're really looking forward to this trip if we can only catch a break with the weather!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I have about 460 miles total to cover between home in PA and the Hotel near Concord,NH. Leaving after work tomorrow afternoon and driving maybe 180-240 miles which will leave only 220-280 on Thursday with a plan to arrive in area by no later than about 4 pm (plan to be started on road by 7 am thursday).

Thanks again for your input...We're really looking forward to this trip if we can only catch a break with the weather!
I shall make a map tonight. Real busy lately otherwise I would have done it sooner!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries - thanks again for your help! Just got the bike nice and clean so it can get filthy the next several days!!!!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the input - that is one of the routes I was definitely considering. Why did you express concern about Kingston? I struggled with finding a good place to cross over the Hudson as well...is that a bad traffic area? Bad Roads???

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Thanks again for the input - that is one of the routes I was definitely considering. Why did you express concern about Kingston? I struggled with finding a good place to cross over the Hudson as well...is that a bad traffic area? Bad Roads???
Just traffic. It is a relatively bigger city....other than that though no problems. Its a pretty nice little city!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a great trip...left Mechanicsburg and went via Interstate to 209 at Stroudsburg then took 209 up to Port Jervis and on to Kingston for the night. Took 199 east to 22 and then 22 north to 7 just west of Bennington, Vt. Then 9 across from Bennington to I-93 just before Concord and the hotel. Beautiful scenery and horse farms - especially in southern NY!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Had a great trip...left Mechanicsburg and went via Interstate to 209 at Stroudsburg then took 209 up to Port Jervis and on to Kingston for the night. Took 199 east to 22 and then 22 north to 7 just west of Bennington, Vt. Then 9 across from Bennington to I-93 just before Concord and the hotel. Beautiful scenery and horse farms - especially in southern NY!
Glad to hear.
Ride on brotha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts