Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique idea to mount my gopro on my 14 ultra limited. It will use the center windshield bolt and I will be able to see the camera at the very bottom of the shield. It will still be out front of the shield and I have a remote with it. I just got the camera and have never used it on a ride. I'm wanting to make some videos riding the dragon, other mountain roads, and on our trip to key west.
Is a mount like this just going to give me a boring video looking straight ahead? I'm not a big fan of mounting on my helmet even though it might give me a more interesting result.
This would be practically free other than an hour or so in my shop, but if I just need to let my wife run the camera, that's what I'll do.
If I do build the adapter, I will post some pics of it.
Any suggestions would be great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I have found to work.

For settings in your camera, I have found that 720p, shooting 60fps, with a medium lense setting, yields the best all around result, while giving you great looking video, minimal "shake" or vibration in your video clips, decent battery life, storage usage on your SD card.

Also, keep your videos to around 5 min in length, any longer and the video will "split" on its own on the SD card, and it will be a chore to figure out the video sequences, as I have found it doesn't split into perfect order.

A mount like this may yield better results, and also give you a chance to turn the camera around and get yourselves in the shot.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271164397888

GoPro Camera Mount fits Memphis Shades Batwing Fairings also Harley 96-present

If you look on eBay, there are some battery kits, that will include a charger and a couple of batteries, you will want extras, trust me. Haha

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
For settings in your camera, I have found that 720p, shooting 60fps,
I agree, frame rate is more important than resolution.
60fps or better....

Depending on which version of GoPro you have determines what resolution you can run at while maintaining 60 fps.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Here is the battery kit I bought, some of the cheaper ones I found bad reviews on, but the Vivitar ones worked fine. Just make sure they fit your model camera.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271309495819

Two (2) Batteries and Charger VIVITAR for GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition AHDBT-301

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I agree, frame rate is more important than resolution.

60fps or better....

Depending on which version of GoPro you have determines what resolution you can run at while maintaining 60 fps.

Exactly. Higher resolution just burns up battery, and SD space, and frame rate is "king" when mounted to a paint shaker. :laugh

If you watch the sale ads, pick up the 64g cards, Class 10 when they come up on sale, Best Buy has them on sale quite frequently.

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
Is a mount like this just going to give me a boring video looking straight ahead?
IMO, this will give a boring video....

Wont see anything of the bike moving....

Either a chest mount or suction cup mount on the speedometer will let you see the handle bars moving, or on an engine guard you'll see the front suspension working.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
Good thread. I have used the Contour mounted on helmet so it sees what I see. Have the GP hero3 with a ton of do dads, got it from Lone_Rider, have used it on handle bar mount and its ok there. Working on a side helmet mount I like that perspective.

2stangs thanks for th frame rates etc had not fooled with that to much yet.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I like the chest mount. I get too much vibration when mounting the camera on the bike and the helmet mount just looks too jerky when I move my head. Here is a video I put together on my Buell S3, comparing the different mounts.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Good thread. I have used the Contour mounted on helmet so it sees what I see. Have the GP hero3 with a ton of do dads, got it from Lone_Rider, have used it on handle bar mount and its ok there. Working on a side helmet mount I like that perspective.

2stangs thanks for th frame rates etc had not fooled with that to much yet.

It took me awhile to get it nailed down, but that's what works for me.

Also, the more rigid the mount, the better off you are, when mounted to the Harley. To prove that theory, and the quality of the video settings I have mentioned, my mount is bolted to the top of my 16" ape hangers. :D

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
the helmet mount is my favorite. I do mount to the crash bar sometimes and that gives you the perspective of the bike which is good. Your idea will eliminate nay view of the bike which is not what you want IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a hero 3+ black and already have bought 2 extra battery's with charger.

After post from 2stangs, I ordered the side mount. Makes a lot of sense to be able to flip it around and video behind you. I also checked out how to set the record speed.
I will try to make a test run next weekend.
Please keep adding any suggestions. Maybe I will be able to post a video of a ride.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Ollie, if you check out any of the video links in my signature, just remember the video quality is hideous once posted to YouTube. If you are using your footage for home use, you will be pleasantly surprised when you use a HDMI cable and go straight to your TV.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've only done the crash bar which gives a great perspective imo. The chest mount by williegoat looks awesome though.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a hero 3+ black and already have bought 2 extra battery's with charger.

After post from 2stangs, I ordered the side mount. Makes a lot of sense to be able to flip it around and video behind you. I also checked out how to set the record speed.
I will try to make a test run next weekend.
Please keep adding any suggestions. Maybe I will be able to post a video of a ride.

Let us know what you think!

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Ollie, if you check out any of the video links in my signature, just remember the video quality is hideous once posted to YouTube.
This is where good editing software comes into play. Lol. Although, YouTube does compress it a lot, you can still make it look good. I'm gonna have fun playing with my gopro this season.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just ordered a innovv c3 to use as a dash cam and riding cam. It doesn't handle file splitting well from the videos I've seen though (aka every time it makes a new file, it's got a 1 second freeze. The gopro saves files in 17ish minute videos with no noticeable loss in frame rate).

My gopro 3 silver is mounted on my headlight nalice so you always see part of the bike and can see bar turns but it's not the most exciting view. I actually just mocked up the crash bar mounting and I kinda like it but it's like a third of the screen is my front Fender. I thought it would be cool to put it on the side of my saddlebag, but same complaint there; A whole lot of bike and a bit of road.

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
the helmet mount is my favorite. I do mount to the crash bar sometimes and that gives you the perspective of the bike which is good. Your idea will eliminate nay view of the bike which is not what you want IMO.
I agree with Dave and most of what the others said about frame rate being more important. I shoot my contour at 720p and 60fps. One of the newer GoPros can now do 120 fps! You should plan to use multiple mounts on your camera to keep the video interesting. You should change mount locations each time you stop. Crash bar good pointing forward, then aft. Helmet mounts good too, forward and aft. Mounting on the fairing can be a plus too IF you do not get a lot of shake and vibration. Some locations just do not work for me as they vibrate too much and the footage is useless. Experiment long before you get to the Dragon so you know in advance what works and what does not. Good luck! Here is a link to my latest one. Be sure to choose 720 HD in the settings!

:biker:

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Did you edit/create that video?? If you did, what software was used?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts