Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who rides with a Gopro or similar recording camera? Also, how do you mount or wear it? If you mount it to the bike what type of bike do you have? I've seen videos of them just curious if there is a preferred way. (Of course there is!)

·
Registered
946 Posts
My wife bought me a Garmin Virb and I have both mounted it on my helmet and mounted it on the crash bar. The garnin shows a map and your speed when you down load the video

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have the GoPro. Tried it on the helmet and don't like the constant back and forth movement. Yeah, it's cool at first but after watching multiple videos or 30 minutes of videos the constant movement induces sea sickness.

Many guys mount them on the crash bars. This gives a pretty neat view of things, including the turning front wheel. One of the down sides of this technique is that it blocks the whole other side of the bike from the camera view.

I mount mine on a Ram Mount, mounted on the end of the handlebar. This gives a good 180* view in front of the bike.
I get little to no vibration this way. But, maybe because of the narrow front wheel I do pick up a little of the road bumps.

If I knew how to upload a video here I would. :(

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. And the apes need to be tall enough so you can hang the camera under the bars! LOL

No, just your mirrors hang underneath. Lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
My GoPro is mounted on the left center of my handlebar, right next to but above the headlight. It gives a good view and there is little vibration. I ride a 2009 Softail Custom (FXSTC). I have a video if you want to see how the footage looks.

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
Oh, and I use the mount from GoPro.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I bought a Contour Roam2 which is hundreds less than a GoPro, but takes great video with 60fps HD video quality. I like it because it's smaller and less noticeable than a GoPro. It includes great attachments for the helmet that really keeps the camera discreetly and securely mounted on my helmet... I didn't want a square camera sitting on top of my helmet. I also have an attachment that allows me to mount it on my handlebars and engine guard. The best part is the lens can rotate so you can always have the camera level with the horizon even if it's mounted on an angle or upside down. It has an neat little laser light that helps level it. I am amazed at how much this camera offers for so little money.
Contour Action Cameras - Official Website

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments and ideas! Not sure what I'm going got do but I would like to do some recording someday. I really like the saving $$$ comments!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have mine mounted between the riser and controls on the right side of my handlebars. Seems to work pretty well, but you can't see the front wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts