Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about several years of being turned down I got approved for my 1st harley..its a 2006 sportster 1200...I got the bike for $5500 and had to put twenty percent down at a apr of 22.9 percent...but my credit score was only 543...this isnt a rosy deal or the bike of my dreams but after a good solid year of good payments...ill be able to get a newer dyna with a lesser rate..at this point im just glad to get my foot in the door with harley

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Well after about several years of being turned down I got approved for my 1st harley..its a 2006 sportster 1200...I got the bike for $5500 and had to put twenty percent down at a apr of 22.9 percent...but my credit score was only 543...this isnt a rosy deal or the bike of my dreams but after a good solid year of good payments...ill be able to get a newer dyna with a lesser rate..at this point im just glad to get my foot in the door with harley

Congrats.

Just pay early, take a year, make your payments, a little extra if you can every month, and refinance or trade it in. Some of us have been where you are, but some (and they will be in this thread shortly to preach to you) will criticize you and tell you that you should have saved and paid cash. Which does nothing for your credit. Bite the bullet now, and just be smart about your credit from now on.

Enjoy that new bike!! :thumb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats to you
I'm right there with you brother (Hey life happens) been trying for this for almost 10 years on and off, I rode home last Saturday with my 2007 Pacific Blue Pearl Electra Glide standard, I've been riding for over 25 years and this is the best ride I've been on. Almost like it was built just for me... I'm new to the group so not sure how to post pictures yet. Definitely will when I figure it out.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I wouldnt want to pay cash for a bike even if I had it....my score is only 543 and see this as a great oppurtunity to build up my credit...it the apr is 22 percent so be it...itll be well worth it in the long run

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Yes I wouldnt want to pay cash for a bike even if I had it....my score is only 543 and see this as a great oppurtunity to build up my credit...it the apr is 22 percent so be it...itll be well worth it in the long run
A lot of us have been there. We can't all be perfect, we can't all save for everything, and we can't control everything. I filed bankruptcy about 13 years ago, credit was shot, couldn't finance a gumball.....

Did the same as you, only on a car, paid the ridiculously high interest for a year, and a refinanced it a year to the day, and knocked off 12% off the interest rate, paid another 6 months, and bought a brand new car at 4.25%. If you can get a credit card, get a small credit limit and pay it off every other month, that will help as well. Payment history is everything.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes...I did a chapter 7 bk back in 2010....but recently paid of a $10,000 car loan within 2 1/2 years...which I think why harley gave me the nod despite the bad credit score

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Congrats

I know a couple guys that saved for years to pay cash for bikes and trucks

Like four or five years

They saved a lot of money doing it that way

They both had great credit

I just not that patient

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Good questio. I'd like to know also.

Just pay on time and add some, if you can it will help reduce the principal faster.
Good luck.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Keep on working on it. ..just about 3 years ago I has a less than 600 credit score and it is looking a lot better know! Credit is easy to loose hard to gain. ..you can do it! Welcome from eden nc

·
Registered
340 Posts
been there...done that...

Screwed my credit up a few times in my life. Make your payments on time NEVER LATE! Pay the loan off early if you can.
Like Stangs said, get a credit card and just use it for gas and small shit so you can pay off the balance every month. You'll get there man.

Congrats!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club... I doubt that there is anyone out there that hasn't made mistakes at one point in their lives....

You're on the mend, enjoy it

Exco

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts