Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new to me house at the end of last summer. My old place I could mow the grass in 35-40 minutes. I now have a bit more. It now takes no less than 2 hours with the push mower if I don't stop, and I don't use the bagger like I almost always do. So it typically takes about 3 hours. At first I was just dealing with it as I thought the excersice wouldn't hurt me anyway. Well all that just SUCKED.

I did a bit of looking around at a rider, and I didn't feel I needed anything fancy. I ended up going to the JD dealer that is just a few miles down the road from me to see if they had any used tractors. They dropped off a new one today.

I had no rest in my ass till I cut the already high grass when it was wet...I won't be doing that again.

in case anybody actually cares (doubt it) I got the cheapest one they had. It's a somesthing 105. It was $1499

Lastly. The cup holder is for NON-carbonaded beverages. My beer was flat after 2 passes.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
The pleasures of having land! I now around 6 acres. And its bumpy as hell but I don't mind it. Its an excuse to drive in circles. Plus I can do tractor wheelies!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Lastly. The cup holder is for NON-carbonaded beverages. My beer was flat after 2 passes.

The trick is to only put the beer in the holder when you need two hands. The rest of the time it should be in your hands. The upside of this is you drink more beer.

·
Banned
447 Posts
John Deere 1400 (20 hp diesel) -- Front loader, loader pallet forks, 48" brush hawg, 52" tiller, Bobcat chipper/shredder, grader, utility trailer.

Comes in handy (as in essential) for mowing, clearing, hauling, pulling stumps, grading, general property maintenance. Unfortunately I can't mow the lawn with it because the lawn is on a slope, over a drain field.

My new power toy is the Billy Goat -- 12 hp gas self-propelled brush mower, like the DR you see on TV. It clears blackberry, waist high grass/weeds, and can work on steep slopes. That together with the biggest weed-whacker Stihl makes, and a big chainsaw.

3.5 acres on the Oregon Coast, where we get an annual 100 inches of rain, and clearing a perimeter is a day in / day out battle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just bought the first lawn mower I have owned in 22 years, two weeks ago. In December I bought 28 acres with a house 2 barns and 2 ponds. I have been living on an acre on the lake for the last 22 years, and because of the terrain, did not have much of a yard. I cleaned up around the house and by the boat dock with a weed eater. I have a m5000 Kubota (50 hp, 4wd) tractor and debated just getting a finish mower for the farm, but decided there was to much stuff to mow around, and I didn't want to put turf tires on the tractor. I ended up with a 60" cut zero turn Bad Boy mower built in Arkansas. Man! that thing eats up some grass. Mowing about 4.5 acres. New toys are great.:nod

·
Banned
447 Posts
View attachment 68689
I got a new Deere this year too!!
I love it!!
I learned the hard way -- Head to your local hardware/industrial supply and purchase a heavy gauge expanded metal grill. I bent and folded this grill around the front protector on the tractor, in front of the headlight/grill assembly. Secured it with heavy duty industrial weight zip ties. This way, when I'm pushing a pile of brush, I don't get sticks poking through the grill. The front grill on one of these tractors is about $500.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well now....Some of you guys took the wind out of sails with an actual tractor.

To me it's kind of a big deal. I could have gotten a similar tractor from a few other sources for less money, and I'm cheap. I can't believe I actually bought a new Harley if that tells you anything. I haven't gotten a new truck in 10 years, and have no plans on a new one anytime soon.

It's been good though. What used to take 3 hours on the puch mower now takes 30 minutes or less with the rider, and maybe 15-20 minutes with the push mower to get the stuff I can't get. So I basically took two hours off the chore.

The way I look at it there is just now more time for me to ride.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well now....Some of you guys took the wind out of sails with an actual tractor.

To me it's kind of a big deal. I could have gotten a similar tractor from a few other sources for less money, and I'm cheap. I can't believe I actually bought a new Harley if that tells you anything. I haven't gotten a new truck in 10 years, and have no plans on a new one anytime soon.

It's been good though. What used to take 3 hours on the puch mower now takes 30 minutes or less with the rider, and maybe 15-20 minutes with the push mower to get the stuff I can't get. So I basically took two hours off the chore.

The way I look at it there is just now more time for me to ride.
They're good mowers, H/F 365. I've had a 110 for about ten years now. Keep the deck clean. I've had to weld the back bracket back on mine.

Now, to jack your thread a little: my trimmer imploded over the winter! Anyone have suggestions on a new one? I dunno if it's corn juice, or decline in quality craftsmanship, but I can't get three years out of a trimmer anymore. :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts