Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend sold me his late fathers 1982 FLT. with 4200 original miles. His father "preserved" the bike in 87' and pushed in into the corner of the garage. Covered for the last 35 years. Not sure what he did to preserve the bike, but the gas has been drained (tank is rust free) no battery and oil is where oil should be. Bike is all original and ding free under a little dust. The bike is sitting in Colorado and will be delivered to my driveway in 10 days. As an aircraft mech for the last 30 years I am hoping to do most of the maintenance myself. my plan it to change the tires, fuel hoses, fluids, some marvel mystery oil here and there and see what happens. wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the form from another aircraft mech..
Looks like a fun project!
The bike's in Colorado, where are you? I'm the one stuck in Commiphorinia.
Thanks, I grew up in the Boulder area, in Penn for the last 18 years. I needed a Harley to put all my standard/aircraft tools to work.
cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats and welcome from Port St Lucie, FL. I have never done what you are about to do, but I would think every gasket and seal would need to be considered?
Its all original , never really worked on other than a few oil changes. I'm sure seals will need to be changed and I have every seal for the engine and trans hanging on the wall. Probably need a repack kit for the forks. I will change them as needed i guess unless its a mess and then at that point rip it all down and rebuild. its all just nut and bolts and a few cuss words. Cant wait to start wrenching on this thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts