Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to my stereo upgrade that I had been wanting to do. The parts of been sitting around forever. So here you go:

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429491232.319346.jpg

Sound Stream Picasso Nano 320.4D. 80w x 4 RMS at 2 Ohms. This app is driving the lower front faring speakers in the rear speakers on the tourpak.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429491451.809746.jpg

Sound Stream Picasso Nano 350.2D. 175w x 2 RMS at 2 Ohms. This app is driving the mains in the bat wing.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429491512.139548.jpg

Used adapters to install infinity Kappa 6.5 inch speakers in the bat wing.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429491563.996442.jpg

Infinity kappa 5.25 inch speakers in the lower front farings.

The speakers that I ordered for the rear pods didn't fit correctly. So I am ordering another set of the same infinity 5.25 speakers for the rear tour pal. Right now I'm running the stock speakers with 80 W RMS on them. I wonder how long will it last?

It sounds very, very good. The amplifier that I'm using on the mains has a bass boost built into it, and the bass response of the 6.5 inch kappa speakers is pretty impressive. I have always been a huge fan of infinity speakers. I have them in my surround sound system of my house.

I am pretty happy with it. I need to dial in the gains and do a few other things, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Very nice. I bet it sounds great. Infinity makes some nice gear.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to hear it.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Nice! Which night of CIII is the sound system competition?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Which night of CIII is the sound system competition?
If we're having a contest, I need to get rocking on a saddlebag sub!

I think it would be pretty close between mine and 2Stangs strictly from the spec sheets.

I've probably got a little more juice on my mains, and he has a little more on his lowers and rear. That's if he has 100w on each driver. I think those speakers are all 4 ohm. Not sure.

The Kappas are 2 ohm and a few db more sensitive, but he's got quite a bit more surface area with having 6.5" (verses my 5.25") in the lowers and 5x7 in his lids. (I have 5.25" in my TP pods).

Generally they spec so similar that you might not be able to tell by ear, but Stangs speaker positions is probably superior in terms of pointing sound at the riders head.

Either one of them is plenty loud to get a visit from ES's friendly finest if we cranked them up for very long.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
If I'm one of the judges, loudness is lowest on my list. I realize on a bike -when riding- loudness is a must, so if someone shows up and their system maxes out at 90 dB their bike will be set on fire and thrown into the nearest lake. But my priorities would be:

1. Spectral balance
2. Clarity
3. Punch (low end tightness)
4. Low THD
5. Loudness

Let the games begin!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If I'm one of the judges, loudness is lowest on my list. I realize on a bike -when riding- loudness is a must, so if someone shows up and their system maxes out at 90 dB their bike will be set on fire and thrown into the nearest lake. But my priorities would be:

1. Spectral balance
2. Clarity
4. Low THD
5. Loudness

Let the games begin!

I'm out. Mine sound like garbage. It's loud tho.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1. Spectral balance
2. Clarity
4. Low THD
5. Loudness

Let the games begin!
I'll never get into a SQ discussion as long as I am running the stock HU. You might get a decent FR out of it if you added something like a Cleansweep, but it's not worth the time and money on a bike. Plus, you'd never get it behind the fairing. But, I don't want to get rid of it because we do use the comm quite a bit when we're both on the bike.

Clarity is a bit subjective, but the biggest challenge I have on a bike is the speaker position. The batwing directs the tweets in such a way that you lose a lot of your stereo imaging. (Plus I have lost some of my HF hearing capability from too many motors and bar gigs) The tweeter pod helps a little, but it's still not awesome.

I have noticeably more low-mid, but There's not enough going on below 50 hertz to give any true "punch." If you want the low-end to hit with any authority at all, you need a sealed system.

But, it is freaking loud!

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Vary nice , I'm anxious to hear it , I put the same speakers in my fairing but no amp as yet , my sound is much improved over stock though.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Dang... I can't install speakers or woofers or subs. I do too much actual ridding to spare the room for my everyday gear. I'm gonna have to stick with the 6.5 Infinity's and a good amp.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Dang... I can't install speakers or woofers or subs. I do too much actual ridding to spare the room for my everyday gear. I'm gonna have to stick with the 6.5 Infinity's and a good amp.

I haven't given up a one square inch of storage space.....either. Cause I do too much actual riding.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't given up a one square inch of storage space.....either. Cause I do too much actual riding.

I didn't lose any either.

If I ever do a saddle bag sub, I am going to buy another saddle bag off ebay or somewhere and have it paint matched. I'll install plugs for the wiring so I can swap it in and out for a real saddlebag when needed.

I don't know If I will though.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts

Would have sworn that you had a boombox mounted in your saddlebag.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
You even ride, bruh?
It wouldn't be nearly as funny if it wasn't actually asked. Lol

I didn't lose any either.

If I ever do a saddle bag sub, I am going to buy another saddle bag off ebay or somewhere and have it paint matched. I'll install plugs for the wiring so I can swap it in and out for a real saddlebag when needed.

I don't know If I will though.

I would do a sub in a tour pak, which may happen next year, and was a possibility for this year, but didn't happen. Just for bombing around. Buy a cheap one off of eBay and seal it shut.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts