Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been dreading getting the 1000 mile service done on my Sporty, as the dealer quoted me about $360 to do it will synthetic oils.

I was quoted about $300 from a local indy shop, and when I went to pick it up about an hour or so ago they told me the total was $285!

It's still a big chunk of change, but it's much less than I thought I'd spend.

Time to go put some miles on the new oil!

Exco

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Save your pennies and invest in a Service Manual from HD, and start doing your own maintenance and fluids changes. You'll save a ton of money and will learn all sorts of neat things about your bike while you're doing it.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Save your pennies and invest in a Service Manual from HD, and start doing your own maintenance and fluids changes. You'll save a ton of money and will learn all sorts of neat things about your bike while you're doing it.
^^^^^^^^this

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Doing all my own service and maintenance gives me almost as much pleasure as riding.
I do it to my cages too, but derive far less pleasure. But I know it was done properly.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Surely at that price your talkin changing fluids in all three holes right ? What's the dealers /indys hourly rate ?

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,786 Posts
Got to love the indy shops

Yep, nearest indy shop to me helped me and my ole friend from jr high when he came from back east to visit me this time last year.

My friend brought his bike on a trailer behind his motorhome and he had some work done to it right before he left his town, matter of fact he picked it up from the dealer with his motorhome and trailer. We did the family thing for a few days and then we were going on a three day ride on the bikes, one evening we went for a little putt around town and for some reason his drive belt snapped and he said it was brand new first time he rode it since the shop back home put it on.
The bummer was in two days we were planning on going for our ride and the two harley shops within a hundred miles said they were booked up for a week or two at least cause everyone needin work done and now!
We got a hold of a indy shop 50 miles away and the guy could not have been nicer and had the bike done the next day, it wasn't any cheaper than having harley shop but he got it done and did a great job.
Indy guy said the belt might have been a little too tight , heck we were puttin up a small incline when it snapped not hot roddin at all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts