Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted the Garmin Zomo 550 on my bike and love it! anyone else running GPS?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Brought a hiking/handheld GPS (Garmin 60cs) on the ride east earlier this month, but two days into the trip I was trying to troubleshoot loss of power and was bending the battery connectors. Broke one off :(. So much for the GPS the rest of the trip.

That Zumo would be on my short list. It is loaded with features. Did you ever get the XM subscription? And it can play MP3's? How did you mount. Need pics :)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I kind want to mount a removable Nav system on my bike. I really like the Nav system in my wifes car. I don't want it on there all the time, so I need to come up with something sanitary looking that can disappear after it is removed.

·
Registered
39,527 Posts
I use a PDA cell phone with GPS software and BlueTooth GPS antenna. I keep the GPS antenna in my pocket and have no problems picking up satellites. I dont use it while riding... If I ever have the need, I pull over and stop to use it.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with most GPS units is when used on a motorcycle (unless it's in your pocket) is the vibration and moisture it encounters. Most all were designed to operate in a protected environment. The Zumo ( I was told ) Is built by bikers for bikers and can really take a slap in the face from mother nature. sfarson I have XM in my car but did not try it with the Zumo yet. Iv'e been riding up a storm and will shoot and post a pic or two soon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Quest 2 and love it!! I did a 2 week from IL to eastern KY to LA then home this spring. Just got back from 3 weeks. IL-CO-North Rim of grand canyon -UT-Beartooth-Black Hills-ND-MN-IL.
I do not think I will leave home without it again. It only got WET for 1 hour so I don't think that is a good test but it did rain hard. This is the only I have had so can't compare it to anything.
Later
Bill:ride

·
carpe diem
16 Posts
I just mounted the Garmin Zomo 550 on my bike and love it! anyone else running GPS?
same here, ZUMO550, not only working great & giving hours of music (depending on size of SD) but can take some punches too ... trust me, had some major bad weather and a nice collection of more than bumpy roads on my last bike trip (4.300 km in France)
the ZUMO took it all with pleasure, it's build to last IMHO
been riding for 28 years with maps under the nose, should have gotten this brainbox muuuuch sooner...

·
BatRod
502 Posts
My 60C Garmin has survived about 40K miles, rain, vibration and heat. Its been back to Garmin twice, once for a failed USB port, once for a rotted power switch rubber cover. No charge both times. It has a $12 handlebar clamp, and I bought a cable that I wired into the accy circuit. Only drawback is you have to download maps for where you wanna go. The new 60Ci (x?) has a memory chip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts