Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a GPS and considering picking one up.

I'm wondering what ones people like or don't like and why.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a garmin nuvi. learn to use them and they are indispensable. I use mine more than I thought I would......

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My opinion. I have a Garmin 1450 (5" screen). I paid less than $125 for it, has lifetime maps and traffic updates. It's very handy, but will sometimes take you on weird shortcuts. It has been in rain with no problems (not advertised as waterproof). As much as GPS features change yearly, I prefer to stay with a cheaper unit. A bonus I never thought of was being able to find specific restaurants, stores and such with a push of a button.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My opinion. I have a Garmin 1450 (5" screen). I paid less than $125 for it, has lifetime maps and traffic updates. It's very handy, but will sometimes take you on weird shortcuts. It has been in rain with no problems (not advertised as waterproof). As much as GPS features change yearly, I prefer to stay with a cheaper unit. A bonus I never thought of was being able to find specific restaurants, stores and such with a push of a button.
I run a Garmin 2720. ( I have several of them ) Works in the rain and snow. Large enough screen to see even in the sun. :bikerguy:

:coffee:

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
I picked up a refurbished Garmin Nuvi several years ago for around 100 bucks. Got the lifetime maps, and as Breeze says, it has taken me on some interesting shortcuts (that really are shortcuts) and of course finding motels, restaurants, etc. is one tap of the screen away. Also downloaded a POI (Points of Interest) file with all of the US Harley Dealers which brings it up to par with the unit HD sells. Been in the rain more times than I care to remember andit has never missed a beat.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm seeing lot's of used or refurbished and even new Garmin nuvi's for a $100 or less on ebay . I leaning towards the 50 LM 5" , watching a couple right now.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
I'm seeing lot's of used or refurbished and even new Garmin nuvi's for a $100 or less on ebay . I leaning towards the 50 LM 5" , watching a couple right now.
Garmin has a Garmin store you can access online. Lots of good deals.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Ive got a garmin 50lm for the car and have a zumo 660 on the bike. Really like both of them, easy to use and lifetime updates.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
how accurate r the garmins last one i had was crap.
If you have the maps up to date, they'll put you right on wherever you tell it you want to go. I had one issue with mine and it turned out to be MY fault with updating the maps.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've been checking consumer guides and Garmin seem's to be there pick , there's not much of a point spread between the Garmin , TomTom's or Magellins.

I've seen some reviews stating issues with updating maps on the TomTom's .

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I've been checking consumer guides and Garmin seem's to be there pick , there's not much of a point spread between the Garmin , TomTom's or Magellins.

I've seen some reviews stating issues with updating maps on the Garmins , more of a procedural thing according to the complaints.
Ive got 3 that have lifetime updates, all you need to do is download the updater, plug in gps and hit update, my dsl is only 1-1.5 mbps so it takes a few hrs but no biggie, I do it over night... but it super simple

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I also had some problems with updates installing with my old laptop. The updates use a lot of memory or something. With my new laptop, they install without problems, but it does take a while.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive got 3 that have lifetime updates, all you need to do is download the updater, plug in gps and hit update, my dsl is only 1-1.5 mbps so it takes a few hrs but no biggie, I do it over night... but it super simple

My bad , it was actually the TomTom that folks have had issues updating maps.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Garmin is my choice, I have found that both Garmin and TOM TOM will take you on some very screwed up routes, bad roads, etc....but the Garmin I think is easier to update, easier to navigate screens ( I hated the TOM TOM for that fact) and has less hiccups.

You will always get a mixed bag of responses, any of them will be better than nothing, especially if you like to run back roads.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the feed back every one .... all things considered I've decided to go to Best Buy to check this unit out ,I like the 5" screen this model has. It'll prolly come home with me too, especially at this price. Plus there's a $15 discount with purchase on Garmin accessories so I'll get a case for it too.

Garmin nüvi 50LM GPS with Lifetime Map Updates 010-00991-21 - Best Buy

1 - 20 of 62 Posts