Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
67Deuce; I have a plastic mount that is similar to the chrome one in your Amazon link. The problem with it, is there is only so much angle the Garmin socket will move on the ball. On my bars, the ball points to the right, and in order to get the screen flat to my view, it's at the max of the pivot. Use your suction cup mount/ball to get an idea of what angle your bars will have the ball at.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
67Deuce; I have a plastic mount that is similar to the chrome one in your Amazon link. The problem with it, is there is only so much angle the Garmin socket will move on the ball. On my bars, the ball points to the right, and in order to get the screen flat to my view, it's at the max of the pivot. Use your suction cup mount/ball to get an idea of what angle your bars will have the ball at.
I kinda wondered about that , I'm planing to mount it between the risers but I'm not sure how functional that may be reach wise.

I may try the plastic mount 1st , I can get one on ebay for under $4 , and just test it out before I invest in the chrome mount.

There's some other ones that mount on the switch housing screws if the riser location doesn't work out , they look like they have a little more flexibility than the ball mount.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I'm happy for what I paid and since this is the first GPS I've owned it's also a learning experience. Like 2stangs mentioned a ways back it beats no GPS at all.

So far using it in my car I like it. I've set destinations and purposely veered off course to see what would happen , it just adapts to my new route and continues to direct me to the target.

I have yet to test on my bike as

#1 were snow and ice covered @ -16 windchill

#2 I still have to wire a power port , going USB as the voltage & amps are stepped down to the correct level and don't have the bulk or need for a lighter style plug , not alot of good hiding places on a Deuce.

#3 Still shopping for mounts / weather proof case's or both , couple of contenders in consideration ,

Arkon GPS Water-Resistant Handlebar Mount GPS032

Amazon.com: 1 1/4" Harley Motorcycle Universal Garmin Nuvi GPS 17mm Handle Bar Mount Suzuki: Everything Else
Ram mounts are really good case and mounts. Alot of different options also.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Breeze Take a look at his Ram double socket mount

RAM Mount Plastic Double Socket Swivel Arm with 1 inch B-Ball RAP-B-200-2U

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Breeze Take a look at his Ram double socket mount

I have seen and considered that mount. It's a little bulkier than I like, but it may be my next attempt. I just got a Ram double ball with curved 2" arm, that gets a good position for viewing. If it stays put and doesn't vibrate to a new angle, it will be a keeper.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got a TomTom but I prefer using the "waze" app on my phone. It will do turn-by-turn and also will reroute around heavy traffic and users can flag speed traps, wrecks, debris in road ect..

Best part? its FREE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have had a Garman and now have a TomTom, Garman stolen. I would take the Garman any day over TomTom, its more user friendly and quicker to do input on. If you're getting one for outside, use in the sun, don't expect to be able to see it in the sun shine, my biggest complaint about a GPS outside.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I do a lot of back road ridding where I pull up to a stop sign and then decide if I should go right or left.
I'm looking for a unit that I can just see on a map where I am and see the roads around me, not looking for directions most of the time.
Will all of these do that?
I know I can do it with my phone, but it can be a pain to keep getting the phone out and waiting for it to locate me.
Thought's??

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Willie; My Garmins can be zoomed in or out to show details or just general location. You can zoom out far enough to see where you are in the State, or the US. I often do as you, so I plug in a destination in my general direction. I can ignore the roads I choose, but still end up where I want to be.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Willie; My Garmins can be zoomed in or out to show details or just general location. You can zoom out far enough to see where you are in the State, or the US. I often do as you, so I plug in a destination in my general direction. I can ignore the roads I choose, but still end up where I want to be.
Thanks....
I've never had one and was thinking about taking the plunge......

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
This plus I like that it can show the speed limit / and your speed , if you do have an exact location plugged in it shows your ETA and adjusts if you make stops.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
This plus I like that it can show the speed limit / and your speed , if you do have an exact location plugged in it shows your ETA and adjusts if you make stops.

I seem to use the GPS speedo more than my bikes, not that they are all that different. I like that the GPS speed turns RED when you exceed the limit. I don't pay a lot of attention to the ever changing speed limit signs.
Did you know if you touch the Est. Time of Arrival tab, it brings up a menu with several other choices? Miles to dest. / time to dest./
etc. I like that.

·
red sport.
378 Posts
I have a Tom Tom ease, it show most all mentions above. sun glare does make it hard to see some times just adjust it according. shows red if I get 4 or 5 miles over limit.
my spedo shows 2 mph more than my gps. got ram mount made for it.
not done this much But, if don't program a destination it just shows the road ahead, think that's all.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts