Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wrencher
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04' RK with the 2-pc seat (solo and passenger). Has anyone installed the Grasshopper which is sold at their website and on ebay?

If yes, who did it work out, is it comfortable, high enough to support your lower back? All of the other driver's backrest I've seen are only for 1-pc seats with the slot.

Also, will all of the 99'-06' 1-pc seats work on the non-classic 99'-06' RK's?

Harley Davidson Drivers Backrest Road King w Black Pearl Studs EZ on Off | eBay

·
Registered
176 Posts
No knowledge on the Grasshopper, but I have a very good condition RKC seat removed from an 04 at about 15k. Kept bagged and boxed since then. DM me if interested.

·
Wrencher
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind if I can come up with a solution, but I'm ok with the comfort of the seat, and the OL likes the bigger pillon, I just need a backrest for when I ride solo. I'm going to order one just to see if it works. Maybe I can modify it if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the grasshopper driver back rest. I had it cut down 1.5 inches so it would sit flush with my seat. Very good for $100 bucks.

·
Wrencher
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and purchased one, so here is my review of the Original Grasshopper Drivers Backrest. I paid $75 including free shipping on evil bay for one with black studs to match my seat. They offer it plain (a few bucks cheaper), or with chrome or black studs to match your seat. I have the 2-pc seat on my FLHRI Standard and it works good, they make one that also fits the stock 1-pc seats with the slot like on the RK Classic and Custom models, you need to specify which seat type you have when ordering. No instructions were supplied, but it's only a single bracket that mounts with the two existing OEM nuts that hold the front seat on. Since the only adjustment of the mounting bracket is back and forth, I ended up turning the mounting bracket around so the slot that holds the vertical backrest support is forward as far as it would go (right up against the rear of front seat). The metal back support that the pad mounts to is a little flimsy due to the light gauge used, but it doesn't look too bad, and only take a second to pull it out or put it in place. The backrest just sits on top of the rear of the front solo seat (no springs or bolts to secure it, although I suppose you could drill the mount/support and make it non- removable. There is a little play in the vertical mount, but it doesn't move once you lean against it. This backrest is not for someone who requires lots of adjustments, but I was able to make it work for my needs. The covering is vinyl as expected in this price range. The backrest pad is flat, not contoured, and is about 1-1/2" thick. They use high density foam, so it gives a little to conform with your back. It dies it job and keeps me from slouching, which I need to prevent lower back pain when riding, and I think it's a great value for the $$$. I'll post a few photos of it mounted later this week. Here is a youtube link that shows how to install it on a EG with 1-pc seat which will give you an idea of how easy it is to install and remove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5oYCGV7pE0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts