Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, just 10 miles south of Brady, TX on Hiway 87. my wife and I had our 2nd experience with a second rear flat in 4 years. The other time was on my 99 Ultra, and yesterday was on my 11 ultra limited.
Man, I tell ya what there is nothing to beat the gut feeling of the rear feeling like it is going to come out from under you at 75 mph.
I am pretty serious about checking the air in tires as I did yesterday prior to taking off on our excursion.
We are really thankful that it did not turn out as bad as I pictured in my mind during that split second that it was happening.
We were able to get shipped back to our destination by our Harley shop that came to get us, and were thankful it worked out as nice as it did.
I just want to put the reminder out there, especially this time of year for everyone starting back out riding to take that extra time to check tires and make sure they are serviceable. It makes a big difference, although, I cannot tell yet what caused this dangerous problem.

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yesterday, just 10 miles south of Brady, TX on Hiway 87. my wife and I had our 2nd experience with a second rear flat in 4 years. The other time was on my 99 Ultra, and yesterday was on my 11 ultra limited.
Man, I tell ya what there is nothing to beat the gut feeling of the rear feeling like it is going to come out from under you at 75 mph.
I am pretty serious about checking the air in tires as I did yesterday prior to taking off on our excursion.
We are really thankful that it did not turn out as bad as I pictured in my mind during that split second that it was happening.
We were able to get shipped back to our destination by our Harley shop that came to get us, and were thankful it worked out as nice as it did.
I just want to put the reminder out there, especially this time of year for everyone starting back out riding to take that extra time to check tires and make sure they are serviceable. It makes a big difference, although, I cannot tell yet what caused this dangerous problem.
Do they have to replace the seat too ??????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote=THE ROAD;3909377]Put some (RIDE-ON) tire sealant/balancer in those new tires !
Glad ya'll made it home safe & sound .[/quote]

Thanks for that tid-bit. Will do that! In answer to Webco, NO, seat was just fine! Was so concentrated on coming to a stop, didn't have time to think about anything else......Whew!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SO, after doing some research, this is not the only sealer that works. AND, I really don't see taking the weights out of the tires for a sealant. I just do not feel comfortable in taking something out that the mechanics put on. SO, Do any of you out there know of a different sealer in which I do not have to give up my darned weights on my wheels???

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Seems to me that even with the weights, the goo will adjust to the conditions to which it is subjected. I do know that a good buddy of mine made it home (many miles thorough the Californy hills) using this stuff only to discover that he made the trip with a huge bolt imbedded in the tire. That would be all I needed to know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is just A POINT AT 70+MPH, when it hits you, to slow down as quickly as you can , and make it to the side. The problem this time was being along side an 18 wheeler, and the wife flagging him to speed up so we could get over. It was a 2 lane road with a passing lane at that point. The road side was only 3ft, so that was another problem of making sure to get the bike as far off as possible.
All in all it worked out fine, after I got through my list of words and rants...........
It all happens so quick, that its unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
SO, after doing some research, this is not the only sealer that works. AND, I really don't see taking the weights out of the tires for a sealant. I just do not feel comfortable in taking something out that the mechanics put on. SO, Do any of you out there know of a different sealer in which I do not have to give up my darned weights on my wheels???
There are several sealers, Slime works pretty well as does one from Dow Chemical.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Do you know what caused the failure yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know what caused the failure yet?

It was a screw. Picked up the bike today. Looks great, runs great.
Glad to have it back. Now if the rain will just hold off until Tues, I will take off again.
I like the idea of the Drive ON, but do not see the point of removing the weights. I am just not comfortable with that, but really want to use something to prolong the ride, should this happen again. Can't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts