Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Retired citizen
22,924 Posts
Happy New Year to you too !
I'm still following this thread.
Clutch spring tool ??? The clutch on your bike has 5 screws that hold the pressure plate down. Just loosen the screws around the clock until the pressure plate is loose. Use a snap ring plier to remove the adjuster plate first.
With the pressure plate off use picks to pull the plates out of the clutch shell.
Note: Pay attention to the orientation of the 2 bottom pieces after all the plates are removed, a damper spring and spring seat. The damper spring is concave and needs to be positioned back in correctly so watch how it comes out.
Good luck !

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks
With the pressure plate off use picks to pull the plates out of the clutch shell.
Note: Pay attention to the orientation of the 2 bottom pieces after all the plates are removed, a damper spring and spring seat. The damper spring is concave and needs to be positioned back in correctly so watch how it comes out.
Good luck !
THANKS SCHMIDTY!!

So the rotor came in and the stator has been ordered. I am shopping quick connect fuel lines and generally making space in the garage for the bike.
Got a screw extraction tool to pull some rusted screws out of the handlebar switch housings.
Got a couple of pieces painted to see if they will match the red on the wheels.

Sort of a slow start for me during the best riding weather of the year for us South Florida folks.
How goes y’all’s New Year so far? Any new bike projects happening?

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the size of the crap you had on your drain plug their serious damage and you should be able to see it that's not a ware problem that's something that broke into pieces

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OK. Back in business.
Schmidty's rotor and stator parts suggestions came through. I have them installed.
I now have the sad news to report that the darn primary cover bolts are of the hex head type and are rusted enough on a few, to not properly turn much less torque down. So I have ordered new bolts.

Also, I have an issue that will need a picture to describe it best, but here is the best description I can give...The primary chain is out of alignment. It is clearly 1/8" to 1/4" further out from the inner primary case at the compensating sprocket than at the clutch assembly. All of the pieces went back in that were in before except, the new stator and rotor.
My 2002 parts diagram shows, no spacer between stator and rotor but there is one between rotor and shaft extension. The problem with mine is there is no spacer there either. If either of those 2 were to exist, then the sprocket would be even more out of alignment. There is only a spacer between the comp nut and comp cover.

I am confused.

I will go home tonight and take pictures. I just hate the idea of pulling that darn comp nut off. It was a bear to do that myself sitting on the bike in second gear, holding the front brake and back break down. The bike still wanted to move forward as I torqued it down.

·
Retired citizen
22,924 Posts
OK, you can't space the clutch out so you have to do it at the comp sprocket. There's a quarter inch spacer that usually ships with a new stator / rotor assy. That is used with some shims (in some cases) to get the primary chain aligned correctly. That spacer fits in front of the rotor. So spacer goes on then the rotor then the comp sprocket.
To get the primary chain aligned you space the rotor / comp sprocket out to align to the clutch hub. Am I being clear on this ?

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
OK, you can't space the clutch....
Yes sir. However, this is the setup I have: Stator with 4 new screws, Rotor (with no spacer included), shaft extension, 25t comp sprocket, sliding cam, comp cover assembly, spacer #29960-91A, comp nut. The HD stator/rotor diagram shows a spacer #29960-91A, after the rotor and before the shaft extension. Mine does not have one, nor did it, unless......it fused to the shaft extension. Since I do not have a new shaft extension to compare to I am at a loss.

This is after the shaft after removal and it's already back on and the whole thing torqued.

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The new rotor may not be the same thickness as the old one.
The thought has crossed my mind. I will tear it down again on Friday when I am off. I came home last night to a rainstorm so I was limited to just staring at the cover on the bike. I didn't want to get water in the primary.
Such is life in South Florida.
I am kind of itching to get this thing back on the road as it is becoming expensive to drive my 3500 to and from work. It doesn't quite get the mileage the Dyna gets!

·
Retired citizen
22,924 Posts
That shaft extension looks normal. You'll need the spacer that goes on the crank before the extension.
Get an old file and cut it to length so that it'll fit at an angle / or \ between the comp and clutch shell teeth, that'll lock the drive train and make it easy doing the comp nut.
I bevel the ends of the file for a better fit between the teeth.

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
All the stuff is together. The thickness of the new rotor is identical to the old one The drive chain and sprockets are all in the same position they have been since I first opened it.
The front is about 1/16th of an inch further out than the rear clutch sprocket. I’m gonna run it. Obviously it’s been like that since new.

I rode around and checked voltages. No leaking back through the regulator and 2500 to 3000 rpm, the stator is putting out 27 to 30 volts.
The battery is at 12.54 on a tender and charges to 14.4 while running.
All the grounds are tight. Things are “normal”. Still missing at random points like the run switch is cycled. Shoots a backfire then loses power for 2 sec then back to running. Cleaned the cps and Speedo sensor. No cam position sensor on my model year. This has been my “normal “ for 2 1/2 years so I may never actually figure it out.

I’ll run a 10-20 mile ride and check back with everyone. Sorry it’s taken so long. Just starved for time.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts