Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:biker:While most of my riding background is off road and racing, i am curious what is the one thing you expect from some one riding in a group with you? I am new to group rides and i want to make it a great ride for all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My pet peeve: the guys that can't ride at a steady speed, always speeding up and slowing down for no reason or just because they like the sound of their exhaust when they crack the throttle. It creates a "rubber band" effect for everyone behind them and can be dangerous.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pay attention to guy in front of you and never go up along side of them while under way. He may not have realized you are there and move over and hit you. Always be aware of the guy following you. Always discuss the route that way if you get split up you will be able to regroup.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,740 Posts
I won't ride in a group (except for the toy run) where I do not know the people.

Biggest bitch is we don't have to many left that can hold the track on the straight much less a corner. The whole lane is for safety not for use IMO each lane still has two tracks and four positions. Most don't know that anymore.

Drive me nuts at poker rides when people don't separate by ability.

Drives me nuts when I see people behind me looking around in high intensity traffic patterns instead of watching the road.

Which is why I gave up group riding unless the event kind of creates it and then that is only til I figure out who has the skills and wants to separate from the accidents waiting to happen.

Occasionally I will find a brother from the 70s that remembers side by side close formation riding and will ride close staggered with them if they are going my way. I have had a few behind me recognize the track hold in corners and pull up want to ride close staggered.

And my regular group of eight all rode 70s side by side which allows us to ride close pack tight staggered. Lots of fun with guys the know what they are doing.

I freely admit that I am an assshole about crap like this.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Hate poker runs. Did one dropped out at 2nd stop. TOO MUCH ALCOHOL CONSUMED BY A FEW OF THE RIDERS.

Have 2 Veteran rides I do. One of which I usually drop out at the lunch and alcohol stop.

Do ride with the Road Bosses the past 2 years. They're a mixed but good group.

Ride with the New York group here and there this past summer and enjoy it. The HMFIC (he knows who he is) leads and chews ass if needed gives good guidance to riders. I try to be the toilet paper as much as possible sometimes end up up in pack, then the eyes are to the rear making sure no one gets dropped.

Put a few miles on with Cloondog going to stuff around here.

It's all good, experience and trust go a long way to a safe and enjoyable ride.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have done a few group rides over the years - for the most part I don't like them. Riding in a group, with skilled riders is not a problem. But large group rides with members of a club or people who are attending a charity ride can be very dicey.

The biggest problem is that there are a lot of riders out there who are not skilled enough to ride safely in a group. Many of them simply do not have enough time on their bike or they don't ride enough to maintain whatever skills they have learned over the years.

I have had a few close calls riding in a group that I would not want to experience again. If you are riding in a group, my suggestion to to get to the back of the pack. The fewer people that you have behind you, the safer you will be.

Pete

:biker:While most of my riding background is off road and racing, i am curious what is the one thing you expect from some one riding in a group with you? I am new to group rides and i want to make it a great ride for all.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I don't like close formation and group riding. Too many things to think about and it takes away all the relaxation of riding.
However, I do love watching a lot of bikes going around sweeping curves ahead of me in good formation. It just looks cool. Kind of contradicting but just my personal feelings.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
The main thing is keeping a tight formation and steady pace. To maintain a tight formation you have to stay in your lane. Just like bbally said.

Be sure the whole group gets caught up at stop signs and lights. If you're the lead bike don't take off 100 mph and expect the group to catch you. It's the lead bikes job to set a safe pace that keeps the group together.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pay attention to guy in front of you and never go up along side of them while under way. He may not have realized you are there and move over and hit you. Always be aware of the guy following you. Always discuss the route that way if you get split up you will be able to regroup.
+1 :bikerguy:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I find the best group rides involve being able to "read" the riders around you, as well as being very predictable in your moves as well.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
dont like group riding. i like to stop where ever i want too and enjoy the area. i ride with a group from time to time. they like to go point a to point b. i like to stop inbetween and check out stuff. this will be my last year with the group thing. ride close and no yo yo.
dont be scared of traffic close to ya either . i see this a lot. when i first joined the group i thought ya this will be great. its ok every now an then. better off just me an a couple buddies.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I expect everyone to be on time. If we are to leave at 10:00 AM dont show up at 10 be there ahead of time and be ready to be on the road at 10. When you show up, have your bike full of fuel. Dont tell me that you dont like to ride over 70 MPH when the speed limit is 75 and I am going to be doing 80 anyway. Dont show up and say wait I have to go to the bath room. Dont show up and need to check your oil. Dont show up arguing with the ole lady and set the mood for the rest of the group.
That is just a start but that is why I normally ride with only 1 or 2 other bikes, or maybe that is why only 1 or 2 other bikes will ride with me.
That is what I expect.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
do some vet rides and once did a abate ride thats pretty much it for large groups-
there is always a idiot -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts