Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its been a while since I have been on here but I have been trying to keep a a check on things. I have a question for you motorcycle gurus on here. My father in law has two motorcycles which he has let me "borrow" one to ride and do some maintenance on the bike is a 2006 Honda 1300c yes I haven't bought y harley yet but it feels good to be on two wheels again.a little history about the bike it has vanes and Hines pipes which look to be shotgun style and that's about all the upgrades Well his concern was it wouldn't idle without about 1/3 choke applied and when it did idle without choke it wouldn't take off almost like it was starving for fuel. Now I have worked on a lot bikes and I told him it probably needs new plugs and a good cleaning. Now this bike has been sitting for a couple months. Anyways I cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs and it still does Nd I have run high premium and sea foam through it a few time I am concerned because the bike has a 4.5 gallon tank and isn't getting but 110 miles to a tank so I am thinking it wast rejetted in the carb. I have looked on other forums and none of those guys are as helpful so I was hoping you hugs could point me in a direction to get the info I need to fix this problem and maybe anything I might be overlooking thanks in advance everyone

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had a VTX. It was a solid bike.

It does sound like it is starving for fuel. You just have to trace the fuel system completely. There's a screen that fits in the petcock. Check that as well.

Not sure what you did, but you can't really clean a carburetor without completely taking it apart and giving it a long soak then cleaning the parts individually. You'll never get the jets cleaned out otherwise.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There is a girl in our riding group who has a VTX 1300 and no matter what we do that thing WILL NOT run right when it's cold.

It's been to the dealer 3 times and nobody can figure it out.

A cold morning start is a routine, bikes starts, quits, she floods it, pulls the plugs, dries it out and restarts, she repeats this routine until the bike will stay running. She can pull a set of plugs faster than you can blink.

She actually considered installing a tank heater on the radiator hoses in order to preheat the engine.

VTX 1300s are notoriously cold blooded and difficult to get jetted correctly.

Have you tried the VTX forums, I think you'd get better response there.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Sounds like a pilot jet.......my old Honda dirtbike would clog and get same issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I've cleaned the carbs taken them apart and soaked them and I can definitely agree Hondas are cold natured for sure and I have tried other Honda forums but I haven't the vtx specific one yet. I was thinking jets what I am worried is that is wasn't rejetted the right way when the pipes were installed and I don't want to go blindly rejetting it. Thanks for the advice I will keep updating as to how it goes

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Does it have a fuel filter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts