Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Street Glide Special and all I know is the cat has got to go! Now that I've read about a couple of different approaches I do have choices. Cut a window and remove the cat, disembowel the cat with a drill bit, or out right change the pipes. I like the idea of just drilling it out, because it seems easiest, then I have a simple 2-1-2 exhaust using same heat shields. However, the option of changing out the pipes and saving them is convincing as well. What's your take on this? There are no wrong answers here, so feel free to weigh in...I will appreciate any and all comments. Please note I am upgrading the stock air filter to stage 1 and adding the H-D tuner to be calibrated and mapped by H-D dealer to avoid any possible warranty issues.:bikerguy:

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Do not drill... its a PIA... I tried then I cut a window and removed what I couldnt drill and then welded it back up. If your wanting to go cheap, then cut the cat out and get some vieds from night rider and itll do just fine. If you want all the HP you can get then you need to change to a 2-1 header and a fuel tuner. I personally cut mine out and the xieds and am happy. Once I get another 2 k to throw at bike I'm getting V&H dresser duels and new slipons and a power vision tuner.

·
Registered
11,033 Posts
I saw your problem coming when I ordered my '13 RG and worked a decent deal with the dealer to install Rinehart Classic true duals & 4" mufflers on my RG before I picked it up.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the insight on drilling the cat out. Didn't seem like it would be easy to get the cat chamber totally clean by just drilling. The V&H website has a great video on their dual systems, the dresser duals look and sound really nice. I already have a set of 4" RC slip ons and ultimately going to a true dual system seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have the means save the dollar and just gut it. You do not have to have a tuner but is not a bad thing either. Some say the Stage one is a joke, but when I have the extra money I will have the download done.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw your problem coming when I ordered my '13 RG and worked a decent deal with the dealer to install Rinehart Classic true duals & 4" mufflers on my RG before I picked it up.
I was blinded by lust for this bike and not paying attention nor did the dealer help by hitting me upside the head with the reality of catalytic convertors. They did however sell me a pair of 4" RC slip ons, which still didn't cut it. Live and learn or is it ride to live:) Thanx for your time and comments.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have the means save the dollar and just gut it. You do not have to have a tuner but is not a bad thing either. Some say the Stage one is a joke, but when I have the extra money I will have the download done.
Gutting it is a good option and one I'm still considering. Definitely the less expensive way to go as you said. I will definitely do the tuner with changes to air intake and exhaust modification, and since it's a new bike I'll do the H-D tuner to avoid any warranty issues. When I do get some extra cash in the future I'd like to put in a cam mod.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not drill... its a PIA... I tried then I cut a window and removed what I couldnt drill and then welded it back up. If your wanting to go cheap, then cut the cat out and get some vieds from night rider and itll do just fine. If you want all the HP you can get then you need to change to a 2-1 header and a fuel tuner. I personally cut mine out and the xieds and am happy. Once I get another 2 k to throw at bike I'm getting V&H dresser duels and new slipons and a power vision tuner.
Thanx for the insight on drilling the cat out. Didn't seem like it would be easy to get the cat chamber totally clean by just drilling. The V&H website has a great video on their dual systems, the dresser duals look and sound really nice. I already have a set of 4" RC slip ons and ultimately going to a true dual system seems like the way to go.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I called the shop after reading this. you guys may be surprised to learn that they do not recommend gutting the cat out of the pipe. They suggest buying new header pipes. LOL!

After they realized i wasn't going to be a paying customer for this they did say you can cut the pipe and remove it that way. But they also said the bike will run lean without the download. Don't shoot the messenger, I was just killing some time till the whistle blows and the weekend starts.

The guy did say the temps of the pipes with the cats is like 2000 degrees and it will be a lot cooler without them. I'm not going to verify the temps.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the shop after reading this. you guys may be surprised to learn that they do not recommend gutting the cat out of the pipe. They suggest buying new header pipes. LOL!

After they realized i wasn't going to be a paying customer for this they did say you can cut the pipe and remove it that way. But they also said the bike will run lean without the download. Don't shoot the messenger, I was just killing some time till the whistle blows and the weekend starts.

The guy did say the temps of the pipes with the cats is like 2000 degrees and it will be a lot cooler without them. I'm not going to verify the temps.
My guys at the HD dealer are pretty savvy and willing to entertain insane ideas that I present to them. They said open the chamber and gut the cat and weld the chamber door if that's the way I choose to go. But they offered a couple other options. One to use a Rush product that replaces the existing header pipes, eliminating the cat, and reuses the stock shields at about $200. They were not sure on exact fitment but it seemed a doable option. Then there's the RC True Duals at $475, which is a true split pipe system with shields. Also I am definitely doing the mapping tune-up. Thanx for your response.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is easy. PM me if you need any help along the way.
Thanx for responding...I checked out your thread and great job laying it out. Looks easy as you said. How's it sound?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Thanx for responding...I checked out your thread and great job laying it out. Looks easy as you said. How's it sound?

Sounds good. Lower. A little gnarly on decel, which I kinda like. :) my favorite part is the 46 mpg I average and how much cooler the running temp is since the removal. Crotchpot cooking is a thing of the past for me.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds good. Lower. A little gnarly on decel, which I kinda like. :) my favorite part is the 46 mpg I average and how much cooler the running temp is since the removal. Crotchpot cooking is a thing of the past for me.
I wondered why the hell HD went to all that trouble to put on a special option to drop out the rear cylinder on my new bike! I mean I knew it was to cool things down, but it's because the cat temps are too much! Sometimes it takes me a little why to get the whole picture. :what?

What do you think of your Power Commander V? Is it a closed loop fuel controller or do you download mapping for it?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I wondered why the hell HD went to all that trouble to put on a special option to drop out the rear cylinder on my new bike! I mean I knew it was to cool things down, but it's because the cat temps are too much! Sometimes it takes me a little why to get the whole picture. :what?

What do you think of your Power Commander V? Is it a closed loop fuel controller or do you download mapping for it?

I love it. You can download new maps whenever you change equipment.

Or, pay extra for the auto tune option on it and it literally tunes itself, on the fly, as conditions and rider inputs change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts