Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called H-D and asked for a product sheet for their paint since I bought all the components from H-D. The paint (Black Pearl) the activator and the clear and this is what they sent me. If you read it you will see the part that says they require 4hrs of drying time before applying the clear has anyone else ever heard of such a long wait time between base and clear? Talk about dragging the job out ? this is going to literally take me all day with a 4hr wait time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after attempting to paint all my parts using the H-D paint all most all of the parts have craters in the paint not sure what happened there. I spent hours prepping the parts with prep wipes tac cloth ect. Eastwood HVLP gun 30gal compressor with in-line water filters ect. So now I have to take everything back down to at least the primer so a few hundred $$ down the tubes. ?

·
Banned
71 Posts
So after attempting to paint all my parts using the H-D paint all most all of the parts have craters in the paint not sure what happened there. I spent hours prepping the parts with prep wipes tac cloth ect. Eastwood HVLP gun 30gal compressor with in-line water filters ect. So now I have to take everything back down to at least the primer so a few hundred $$ down the tubes. ?

"Fish eyes" in the paint ??? There is a additive to prevent that .Breaks the surface tension so they will not form .

Painting is as much an art as it is a science . :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure they were fish eyes I started sanding it down and it goes all the way down to the primer turns into little specks like pin holes. I thought if it were fish eyes I could sand it smooth take it down to a 6-800 grit and throw another coat on top and be good but like I said goes all the way down. I may need a sealer too ? I guessing either contaminates on the substrate or water droplets out of the air line

·
Banned
71 Posts
Could be either / or...I don't claim to be a painthand, but I have had some luck in doing it .

There are some on this board who are great painthands . Search for a thread on painting and you'll find them . :)

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Sounds like fish eyes. I've had mixed luck with the fish eye additive. One time it was actually worse. They may sent you some old product, that will make a mess of it as well.

Was it too cold when you sprayed? What was the humidity?

Edit: I went back and read the product sheet. Disregard my comments. I've never sprayed urethane paint.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the defect went all the way to the paint you had contamination. When something makes it run from itself (what you are describing) its not a viscosity or temperature problem. Start at the compressor and go all the way to the gun.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Sounds like it pin-poped.....maybe use the wrong amount of activator...Sorry I read it wrong....does sound like fish eye...contaminates ..moisture...you don't have your dryer vent piped in to your booth do ya ??

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Yea....I couldn't pass up a chance to drag the dryer thread into this....:flush

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol I wish it were that simple. Venting the dryer in the garage/booth would defeat the purpose of drying the air at all it would just let the particulates back into the place where you are painting ? The more I think about this the more I feel it is a combination of 2 things 1.Contaminates left on the substrate and 2. I may have been laying it down too thick. The lighting was not the best and I was using a black pearl base over a black primer hard to see the wet edge ? I need to get this bike back on the road for now so I'm just going to sand the craters out and rattle can it, what paint is left will make it easier to cover with the rattle can. Some pieces may only need one coat before clear a few will have to be stripped all the way down and have to be built back up before clear. I'll run it a few years like this then I'm going with a Mad Max look desert tan matte over flat black in place of the chrome. Hopefully by then I can upgrade my set up and get better results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts