Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
First bike newbie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking to put a security system on the scooter. Was wondering what people thought about the Harley smart security system, and if anyone has a good recommendation on any other systems.

As always thanks for any help on the issue. Gonna have to be off the bike after the 23rd for about 4 weeks due to a upcoming surgery, so gotta get some revolutions of the tires while I still can.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
I have one on my bike, here's how I look at it

Pro - It's the only security system that is an integral, vs piggybacked, part of the electrical and ignition system.

Con - If a professional thief wants to steal Harleys, the factory system is the first one they are gonna learn how to get around.

·
First bike newbie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kainam. I know that it isn't a cure all but still think it is better than nothing. I also like the idea that it isn't just a security system in that it doesn't just sound a alarm (I'm getting the siren added to it) but also renders the electrical system dead unless the fobs there. In the end, if some one wants my bike, they will find a way to get it but taking the precautions is the best I can do.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
That's my thought as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I booby-trap my bike with explosives. If I can't have my bike...nobody can!

·
First bike newbie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lack the equipment and ability to make my bike go boom upon command. But thank you two for your service.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Large capacitor
That has the advantage of leaving you a way home. Plus the perp may sh!t himself....

It may be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 08 ultra and put on one from Scorpio Alarms » Motorcycle Products it was a bit pricier than I wanted but it has functioned perfectly. The one part i like is the hi jack mode. If someone high jacks your bike all you do is push a button on the remote and the bike dies. it has about a half mile range.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What the chances of catching someone in a half mile. ?
I hardly ever use my security system. If they want they'll get it.
They caught some guys stealing Harley's 4 guys 2 pipes stick the pipes through the rims pick the bike up and load it.
Most of the pros know how to disarm them. If your worried about it being stolen while in a restaurant or bar, I would lock the forks and ignition.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
maybe you missed the (high jack ) part. Your stopped at a light a dude comes up with a gun and says give me the bike. I carry but not legal in all states. Give him the bike hit the kill button on the remote remove your gun from holster then do what you want to the dude.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do a lot of riding in st louis mo. Theres a car jacking at least once a day. Never heard of jacking a bike but can see it happing around here.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
maybe you missed the (high jack ) part. Your stopped at a light a dude comes up with a gun and says give me the bike. I carry but not legal in all states. Give him the bike hit the kill button on the remote remove your gun from holster then do what you want to the dude.
I'm very obstinate. I'd tell him to +uc* off.
I just took the TSSM off my Softail and put a TSM in because I forgot the key had to be removed after starting or it would fall out as it did and AAA had to tow me home. No FOB for me.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I'm very obstinate. I'd tell him to +uc* off.
I just took the TSSM off my Softail and put a TSM in because I forgot the key had to be removed after starting or it would fall out as it did and AAA had to tow me home. No FOB for me.
There is a thread in the electrical area that shows you how to bypass the system when a fob is not present, working, etc. In case you lose one or the battery goes dead. That way you can have the tssm and not have to worry about being stranded.... just saying.

·
This side of CRAZY
42 Posts
I not only have one installed on my bike, but also installed one on my sons. (I get the good dad award, bought him a '07 RK). Both with the siren option and the pager. I know if they want to still it, its gone. But, I sure will get there attention.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just had a TSSM installed on my Ultra...did not come with security...like the passive part of the system...but as everyone has stated if they want it bad enough it's gone !

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
So looking to put a security system on the scooter. Was wondering what people thought about the Harley smart security system, and if anyone has a good recommendation on any other systems.

As always thanks for any help on the issue. Gonna have to be off the bike after the 23rd for about 4 weeks due to a upcoming surgery, so gotta get some revolutions of the tires while I still can.
They are worth the money. I would not only purchase the security system but I would also get the siren as well. I wouldn't spend the money on the pager though. I've heard the range is actually very short on the paging system. Some people don't like the security system because they think they will leave you stranded if you lose the FOB or the battery goes dead in the FOB. Far from the truth TSSM and HSSM can be disabled by using the turn signals to enter the security code. I don't know about after market ones I've never heard of any for Harley's. But the Harley ones are pretty good in that they provide the ground and power to the ignition system. So if they are enabled you don't have power or ground to the ignition. You have to be pretty knowledgeable to hot wire a bike to steal it with the security system unless you just pick it up and move it with the siren going off but where theres a will theres a way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2010 Ultra Limited and it came with the security system. I purchased and installed the siren later on. I find that more often then not it reminds me to go back in the house and get my key.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts