Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

1a: Is HD SYN3 any good? I regularly commute in traffic to and from Berkeley CA, and want to use an engine lube that will give me as much life out of the bike as possible. If SYN3 isn't good for the engine - any good recommendations for a synthetic?

1b: Any known issues when switching over to synthetic on a bike that possibly ran organic oil all it's life?

2: Does the addition of an oil cooler require adding more than the standard 4QT capacity to replace what is now circulating through the cooling radiator, or is the capacity of the radiator ( specifically the Jagg 10 row w/fan: http://www.jagg.com/751-FP2400.html ) not sufficient to make any difference?

Thanks for your time.

~Dave

·
Registered
803 Posts
Two questions:

1a: Is HD SYN3 any good? I regularly commute in traffic to and from Berkeley CA, and want to use an engine lube that will give me as much life out of the bike as possible. If SYN3 isn't good for the engine - any good recommendations for a synthetic?

1b: Any known issues when switching over to synthetic on a bike that possibly ran organic oil all it's life?

2: Does the addition of an oil cooler require adding more than the standard 4QT capacity to replace what is now circulating through the cooling radiator, or is the capacity of the radiator ( specifically the Jagg 10 row w/fan: Jagg Fan-assisted 10-row LowMount Oil Cooler System for FLH 2009-2014 - Jagg Oil Coolers ) not sufficient to make any difference?

Thanks for your time.

~Dave
1a: HD syn3 is better then regular oil, but not as good as Amsoil or mobil 1 in my opinion.
1b: If bike leaks oil or burns oil changing to synthetic most likely will cause it to leak/burn even more.
2: Yes when adding an oil cooler more oil will be needed. Just put in the required amount, run motor for a couple minutes then add till it is between the lines on the oil level stick.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
1a: HD syn3 is better then regular oil, but not as good as Amsoil or mobil 1 in my opinion.
1b: If bike leaks oil or burns oil changing to synthetic most likely will cause it to leak/burn even more.
2: Yes when adding an oil cooler more oil will be needed. Just put in the required amount, run motor for a couple minutes then add till it is between the lines on the oil level stick.
+1.. You may find that your first oil change (after you install oil cooler) will require topping off, but after that the oil cooler won't drain enough for you to worry about it.

·
Registered
39,718 Posts
+1.. You may find that your first oil change (after you install oil cooler) will require topping off, but after that the oil cooler won't drain enough for you to worry about it.
This. :thumb

1b) No issues switching to synthetic.
Only reason going to synthetic would cause an increase of an existing oil leak is if sludge in the motor was plugging an existing leak.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, All. I'll be switching to use Mobil-1 V-twin 20/50, and although my wallet said ouch a little bit, well maybe a lot - just ordered up the Jagg fan assisted oil cooler low mount, seems protected enough by the fender skirt and makes it look all OEM 'n' stuff, plus it looked like the vertical mount one would just blow hot air from the oil radiator back on my left leg, said no thanks to that - 550.00 now is better than 7K later for a new engine, or rebuild on the existing one.

:biker:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts