Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone a member of the Harley Owners Group? Seems reasonable but not sure if it is worth the money. New guy here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
It's what you make out of it. You have to be a national member to be a local member. The national comes with some nice perks with ATT and Best Western etc..

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
For me its worth it. Became a life member years ago before the price jumped up. The discount from my local dealer is worth it all by itself. The atlas that comes out each year is a plus. I don't do much riding with the chapter but it's there if I want to. They do have some good cookouts.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
It all depends on your local chapter and your personal preference, if your local chapter is active and you could use the benefits, then yeh its good for you. My local chapter is not active and i have other ways to get better siscounts for the other studf such as the best western and att phone discounts. And towing and roadside assistance is paid through my insurance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I am. I use the Best Western rewards and have the towing on the bike incase any thing goes wrong. my State Farm full coverage bike insurance DOES NOT cover motorcycle towing period.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I joined only for the roadside assistance they will come get you and bring you to a HD dealer. AMA will pick you up for the same and take you where you want.

AMA works for me not HOG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What BGDV said about the towing & yeah I'm State Farm too lol. The Chapters... Uhmmm not so much but I am sure some are better than other just don't feel the brotherhood ya know? There is always ABATE & those guys know how to throw a party

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I'm a member of H.O.G. I have met a lot of like minded people who love to ride and have a good time. In the off season they host pool tournaments,christmas parties and other events. The club rides are good as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am. I use the Best Western rewards and have the towing on the bike incase any thing goes wrong. my State Farm full coverage bike insurance DOES NOT cover motorcycle towing period.
isn`t that crazy . i got state farm and they`ll come tow my snowmobile , but not my bike ? just wanted to leave the snowmobile at 12,000ft and tell em to go get it . my local rep is really good to me , but that was a little wierd.
want to get that coverage , cost me over $400 2yrs ago for a dead battery on a sunday. 2cts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Have been a national member since '07........The price versus the benefits are not that bad so I keep the membership up. I get a decent price on the roadside assistance and a nice discount at Best Westerns........Considering I take a two week trip cross country every year I feel its worth it.

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
I'm a member but not of my local chapter. Too much testosterone if you know what I mean. I like the magazine and the roadside assistance. AMA offers towing but only if you're on their automatic renewal plan. Honestly the AMA magazine has never had anything for me in it. Just stories about kids riding trail bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What type of discount do they offer for Best Western? I have thought about becoming a member, but have road side with my insurance company....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Deck ... As I recall it's 10% in Canada . The local chapter does a poker run [fund raiser],and fund raising for a lot of different charities. As all things it's your local that makes the diff. The monetary part I could care less about, I like Holiday Inn Express for the free breakfast and my BCAA gives me roadside. The local does a lot of great social stuff [keeps wife happy] lots of informal rides etc. Best thing to do is go to a meeting and see if it "fits".

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Benefits of national membership is good, the local chapters around St. Louis are pretty active. For me the discount at the dealership more than pays for the dues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As has been repeatedly said some much really depends on the local chapter and what you want/expect out of it.

My local is very active with over 50 rides a year, no attittudes, cliques and isn't hitting you up for donations at every turn. Ride as much or as little as you like,etc.

For me its a good match for what it is and what it isn't.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I did the HOG thing for 3 or 4 years when I first got my bike. After that, I cut the patches off and never looked back. I'm not into pins and patches and over zelouse Nazi ride captains that want to boss you around. I had more fun in Patriot Guard.
I have State Farm and AAA best insurance and roadside assistance. The AAA covers my bike or truck and my girlfriends car for a hundred bucks a year. That's $8.30 a month for towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I guess I will get to try it out for free. Apparently my dealer signed me up for a free year. I thought they only did that if you purchased new. My dealer experience keeps getting better.

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
I've been a member since '98. I have been in good and bad chapters. The one I am in now (since last July) does a lot of good fundraisers for local charities and the dealer pays your local dues (Thumbs up to to Adam Smith Texas Harley in Bedford). They have at least 2 rides to choose form each week.

I like the towing (used twice), the monthly mag and the annual atlas. It is what you make of it. I am a Platinum member with Best Western and can use my points to pay my dues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts