Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Heritage with 3500 miles on it. I check oil every couple of weeks. Today I checked the oil and had to add about 3/4 quart and this has me concerned. Around ninety percent of my riding is local non highway. No apparent leaks and I am using Syn 3 since the 1000 mile service. Bike runs great. Oil looks dark to me for 2500 miles on it but I am no expert. Should I be concerned?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
No you shouldn't. Most engines will use a little during break in. If it continues after the 5K check up, then you should worry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
JMG, agree with Wrgiacona. For what it's worth I have an 08 Heritage with 18,800 miles on the bike (and a Stage II Big Bore Kit) and lose absolutely no oil. I $shit you not my friend. Zero oil loss. Give it some time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a 07 Heritage that has 22,000 on it and over the last 2500 miles its lost very little oil, not enough to add any oil. But I check my oil every other time I ride just like my tire pressure.

Now the 04 Sporty I had before this used about a quart to a quart and a half every 5000 miles or so. Not leaking just going out through the breather holes and back into the carb..

·
Retired citizen
22,081 Posts
The MoCo states that a quart in 1000 miles is acceptable. Some of the oil is consumed through the breather system.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I haven't added a drop to mine in 5,000 miles. I have the breather bolts venting to the outside if that matters.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I'll go through about half a quart in 3,000 miles, only 14,000 on the bike, its an 03. Its been doing that since 7,000 miles, I just keep an eye on it, running synthetic. Not a big deal I just add when needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Do you have stock pipes? I have a 97 Heritage and get some blow back with my straight pipes but consider it an acceptible loss. Other than that, I had to replace the primary seal once and primary drain plug once but no leaks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reassurance everyone, but, this is my first Harley and I was a little concerned. I have been riding it a bit more and harder than usual and didn't know what was acceptable for a new Harley.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
JMG, agree with Wrgiacona. For what it's worth I have an 08 Heritage with 18,800 miles on the bike (and a Stage II Big Bore Kit) and lose absolutely no oil. I $shit you not my friend. Zero oil loss. Give it some time.
2012 FLHTK with just under 19K on the clock and 4K on the current oil change interval - like this poster, I have no discernible oil loss at all. Harleys as a rule seem to be tight in this regard, so my bet is that you are experiencing something unique to break in mileage.

Aren't you supposed to change that oil at 3K during break in?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My manual says 5000 miles, even though I will change it sooner

·
Registered
36,956 Posts
My manual says 5000 miles, even though I will change it sooner
Yeah, the initial oil change is pretty important cause of all of the parts wearing in together.

At 5000 miles on a new motor, I'm on my 3rd oil change.

Everyone has their own break in ritual though.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Yep , bought in Nov with 3066mi on the clock got 4208mi as of yesterday.
Thats great! Bought mine with 7 grand on the clock.. friggin oil looked like graphite. Changed it, ran it a grand on dino, changed it again put syn in it, been good to go since..got close to 14 on it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts