Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Haven't been on in awhile. Too busy riding, and too hot to tool on my ride. Luckily she has been running like a champ...until now.
For about a week or so I was hearing a buzzing sound when I slowed down at a stop. I couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from, but was from the front of the bike. Bike ran great! I tried to narrow it down to the brakes, engine, clutch, wheel bearing, tranny... But pretty much eliminated most of those. Finally I pegged it always make the noise at about 20 mph on my speedo. Accelerating or decelerating.
The wife wanted to go for a ride the other day, so we stopped at a gas station, filled up the tank, and when I cranked her over I got half a crank and then total power failure. No ignition, no headlight, nothing. Had to call a tow truck to get her home. $85. Ouch!
So, first thing I checked was the battery. 12.6v. Checked the connections, fuses. All good. When I put a voltmeter on the battery again, I checked it with the switch in Acc, 8.4v, and ignition, .5v. Ok, battery is not holding a load. Took it to the Auto parts store and had to have it charged and tested. Results? Replace battery.
Now I suspect that that buzzing might be related to my rectifier or stator, that probably fried my battery. Not sure if they would make that noise, though?
So my question is this...I obviously need a new battery, but my engine has been upgraded to a 95" build by the PO. I have all the receipts. I never found anything to suggest he may have upgraded the charging system when he did this. If that is necessary? I am shopping for a battery, and have found 300, 385, and 400 CC amp batteries, and likewise, I'm thinking the VR (rectifier) and stator may be rated different for larger motors than the original 2005 88" that is no longer on my bike. Am I overthinking this? My current battery is less than 2 years old, and I have compression releases on my heads for the high compression starts.
Anyways, I'm not sure yet if my stator or VR is bad yet. I need a good battery to be able to troubleshoot. But assuming it may be, I'm not sure if I just buy stock replacements or try to upgrade. I don't really want to spend excess $$, but I don't want run on an underrated charging system either.
Oh, I tried to jumpstart the bike off of my friends smaller bike battery (while his was running), and it would turn over but not at full chug. Couldn't get her to start.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
That buzzing noise sounds like it could have been a loose connection on the voltage regulator. That in turn could have been what ate your battery.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I agree with kd, and if it's in your budget for the best battery you can, I'm going lithium next, my 96 is a hard starter and hard on standard batteries.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
I run a Yuasa battery and stock charging system and regulator on my bike.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,897 Posts
Remove and clean the grounds on the electrical system. One to the engine. One battery to frame and the one from the regulator.

Do it before you do the voltage tests

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really haven't checked the voltage reg just yet. I'll take a look at the connections

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You have to pull them. Then clean and torque
This.

And check resistance on your cables and connections. A problem in conductivity can cause charging system failure.

--

1 - 8 of 8 Posts