Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried contact cement to glue the hand grip back on .but now 5k later it's loose again.. I was told to use hair spray , or black electrical tape to wrap on the bar then shove the grip back on.. What does the factory use ?
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't say what the factory uses.

For Soft grips: Bicycle or dirt bike style:
I have always had good results with Aqua Net hair spray. Spraying the inside of the grip with a heavy wet coat, slide the now sloppy grip onto the throttle sleeve and leave it overnight to dry. Has to be removed with a sharp blade or by blasting shop air through a very tight blower, aimed between the grip and the bar..

Hard grips:
That i have used don't require glue. The proper grip should have a groove that interlocks with the handlebar switch housing that prevents the grip from siding off.

Are you sure that grip is designed for your bike?
I ask because of the throttle tube vs a hard grip. It can be done using RTV and allowed plenty of dry time.
Thanks 1/2 Ton.. I bought the bike from an insurance company after it had been in a shop fire. .Just looking at the photo I took when I first got it home back in 1995 .I see no grip on it at all. I have soft rubbery ones ,. A strange thing happened tonight . I was looking at the bar and hand grip, and started peeling the contact cement off . Unlike the photo ( in my other post) the cement peeled off leaving a black bar under it to see how much room I had to work with I pushed the soft grip onto the bar, and it stuck like it was glued . Those bars are buck horns and very comfortable for long trips. I can easily angle them down ward a bit more and have the same comfort. If I do that I won't be pulling the grip off, but I'll be pulling at a right angle when pulling the bike backwards.
Thanks for all the advise .
Tire Wheel Jeans Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts