Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning and have come to the realization my handle bars are too short. Their only 10.5 inches tall. (I think) I need at least 18" tall bars.

So now I'll start nosing through the Jp cycles catalog. My question is who else should I look at in the aftermarket world for handle bars?

Let's see, throttle cables, brake cable, and I'll need to extend the electrical. I guess I could just measure the stock cables and add the difference from the stock bars and the aftermarket.

Any ideas on any other aftermarket companies? Or an idea on something I'm forgetting?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
The JPCyles website will have MANY sources, I'd also check the DennisKirk website. Maybe Drag Specialties, but there will be a lot of overlap in sources.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My question is who else should I look at in the aftermarket world for handle bars?

Let's see, throttle cables, brake cable, and I'll need to extend the electrical. I guess I could just measure the stock cables and add the difference from the stock bars and the aftermarket.

Any ideas on any other aftermarket companies? Or an idea on something I'm forgetting?
New throttle cables.

New Clutch cable.

New Front brake hose.

Extended electrical wiring for controls. I prefer NEW wiring that alread has added length, and then install in the factory plug with NO SPLICES to wrry about or deal with. Plug pins (Factory) are available through aftermarket and the dealer.

Now is a good time to spend a slight bit more, (not much) and convert everything to Braided Stainless.

The way I've always done this is to:

1.) Take your old cables off at the handlebars. Leave attached to trans, carb and wiring to the controls.

2.) Let them hang. (Clutch cable, throttle cables, wiring)

3.) install new bars.

4.) Holding your old control cables up to the new bars, use a cloth measuring tape, (sewing tape) and hold the cables here you'd want them, where they don't bind, or look too droopy, then measure the added length needed. Order accordingly....

Brake Hose: Figure out where your AN brake hose line fittings will be coming off the caliper and master cylinder, and literally, tape a length of rope in place of the brake hose, and figure your routing and mounting. Once mounted and you're happy with it, take it off and measure it......

I realize this is the longest time frame method, as your bike will be down until the new cables come, however, I've found it's the best way to avoid cables coming that were too long, too short, or just don't look right.

Out of the 6-7 bikes that I've added 20+ inch apes too, this has always turned out to be the best and most sure way to get the right parts the first time.

ASLO.... If you want something clean and sanitary, start looking at 1.25" bars instead of 1" bars. It's easier to route your wiring INSIDE of 1.25" bars, then in the 1" bars, although at the dogbones, it's still a 1" section, where you'll need to drill a hole to get the wiring out from. It's a little more work, and a little more $$$ for the bars, but the results are amazing with no visible wiring. I've never routed a brake hose inside the bars, but it can be done as well. Very clean looking results.

I'v bought numerous things from JPCycyle, Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, as well as:

http://www.easternperformance.com/

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp;jsessionid=5EOOLSYZ5BAO3LA0WTKSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&catId=416&leafCatId=41602&np=&mmyId=8200036

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Motorcycle-Parts/10111.jcw

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
I really like the hydraulic clutch conversion I did on my LowRider, IMHO much cleaner and more symmetrical to have another matching master cylinder and "brake line" on the left side than that heavy clutch cable. Not to mention less effort and smoother. If you ever thought about that, it isn't a cheap extra added to this current task, but it would keep you from buying and routing a longer clutch cable.

KIT, MASTER CYL., BLACK $144.76
45033-03
TRANSMISSION SIDE COVER ASSY $231.54
Chrome 37121-03

LINE ASSY, CLUTCH, STAINLESS S $70.54

KIT COVER,MSTR CYL/BLK/DOT 5 $17.56
45030-03
HAND LEVER ASSY $31.25
45388-03

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy......now that's one-stop shopping!!

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I have thought about chrome controls and switches. Boy would that be a snap and save some time. HHhmmm, wouldn't that be nice to have the electrical extensions already made, cables already figured, WITH stainless cables.

Wow, what a decision to make.

Ok, guys, here's the question, what would you do? And don't give me one of those "it's your decision posts" either? :D

I need a comparison, like - When I did some in the past I had to, and it was about x amount of dollars.

I think I'll shoot them an email and see if they have a combination without the controls but everything else.

AH CRAP!! Decisions, decisions.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
One-stop shopping is always easier........ Check around. I know they're not the only ones offering a "All-in-1" kit.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A "kit" would be nice. I sent them an email and explained what I had and what I wanted. I asked them to give me some options.

Also I thought when I got time tomorrow, I would actually do a more in depth search, (now that I know there are combos)

We'll see what happens.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I put 15" apes on my 02 Softail five years ago and it took about 4 hours of wiring (internal) I had bought things separately and ended up paying around the same as the kit offered.

Attachments

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Hawk.

I got a call from them this morning. 18" apes, both throttle cables, clutch cable, brake cable, and an electrical pig tail to extend the wiring (this is a run on sentence) shipping, tax and all out the door for 418.00

Sounds pretty decent to me.

For some reason I value everybody's opinion, so - sound about right?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
For some reason I value everybody's opinion, so - sound about right?
Whoa, whoa whoa........... don't value MY opinion.....!! I've been drinking cheap beer all day!! :thumb

(You'll spend that much, if not more buying the same componants, if you're lucky, they'll all fit right the 3rd time. DO IT!!!)

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
IMHO 18" is a bit high...I would go with 15"...and DO IT.

If I had $400 right now I would grab a 15" kit and do it to mine. Definitely going to save the link and do it in the future.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, guys. I'll be ordering them this friday. Sooner if I can swing it. I can't wait. Don't worry Hoss, you wouldn't believe these freakishly long ape like forearms of mine. so 18 should fit. You know for "airing" out the pits!

Did I mention I love this forum! Even Dave and his cheap bear? Is that Coors light Dave? Don't worry, when I can't swing the Shiners, it's all coors light for me too! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts