Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '11 RKC is getting bars this winter . . . I was checkin' out the Chubby WO572 price at my local indie today. As he is flipping through a fat catalogue he lands on:

==> PAUGHCO - Bagger-Werx™ Complete 1¼" Apehanger Handlebar Kits For Touring Models :what? . . . @ $700.00 it sounds interesting!

. . . anybody have any experience with these or other preassembled kit for their apes?

I checked them out on the interweb, J&P is selling their stuff.

Harley-Davidson Handlebars From Paughco

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
The largest complaint I have read/heard/seen is chrome quality on the switch housings and chrome controls on these kits like these. The old adage applies...."you get what you pay for". Cheap is great, until you have to do it twice. Yellow chrome, flaking, chipping, etc. Also heard of switches failing, and weaker button return springs. (Last one is my experience)

·
Registered
710 Posts
^^^Yep cheap is great BUT you really do get what you pay for^^^

·
Señor Member
19,750 Posts
The largest complaint I have read/heard/seen is chrome quality on the switch housings and chrome controls on these kits like these. The old adage applies...."you get what you pay for". Cheap is great, until you have to do it twice. Yellow chrome, flaking, chipping, etc. Also heard of switches failing, and weaker button return springs. (Last one is my experience)

Plus, don't ask this man to wire into aftermarket switch housings. :rollin

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts
Last time I stopped in J&P they said the same thing , the Burly or Chubby WO572 you were looking at had a better chrome finish than other brands like LA Choppers but we never talked about the PACHECO line.

I may ride up there today to do a rough fit test to narrow down what bars I'm going with. Looking like the last day for the foreseen future to ride around here.

I started piecing together a Burly set-up , 14" 1 1/4 GORILLA BAR ,Burly chrome braided cable kit & wire extensions ,Burly lite pull clutch kit = $525.00 on Burly's site.

I'm thinking I'll go with chrome housing covers & levers for my controls, it flows with my over-all black & chrome look.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Last time I stopped in J&P they said the same thing , the Burly or Chubby WO572 you were looking at had a better chrome finish than other brands like LA Choppers but we never talked about the PACHECO line.

I may ride up there today to do a rough fit test to narrow down what bars I'm going with. Looking like the last day for the foreseen future to ride around here.

I started piecing together a Burly set-up , 14" 1 1/4 GORILLA BAR ,Burly chrome braided cable kit & wire extensions ,Burly lite pull clutch kit = $525.00 on Burly's site.

I'm thinking I'll go with chrome housing covers & levers for my controls, it flows with my over-all black & chrome look.
NO problems here with chrome or any thing on my LA Chopper Twin Peaks bagger bars :thumbsup

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I confess that after getting some education last night on what is involved with the install - a preassembled kit sounds real good. I had no idea so much work is involved.

My fear, beyond quality, is buyer's remorse 'cause I just don't like what they supply : grips, levers, cable, covers/switches . . . seems like you should pick out each piece individually to make it yours.

Pretty sure if I can install a swingarm on the Sporty, I can do ape hangers on my King. So the effort doesn't bother me - our winters are long enough, that's for sure!

Any recommendations? Any threads you can link me up with - the search function is a little hit and miss on fleshing out components in an install. What have you chosen to do? Did you buy bars and separtely get all the other pieces or, buy a kit from someone (if so - who?) - buy all your stuff from HD?

Let's hear about your journey to new bars!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I personally bought all my parts individually because I didn't like 100% of any kit I found.I shortened up the lower brake lines a bit and other mods. Even with any kit I bought I always seem to replace parts making the kit not such a good deal,not that a kit isn't a good deal I'm just picky..

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts
bgdv1, actually I think I got mixed up when I posted that, LA Choppers was decent , he was talking about look a like bars "like LA Choppers " that seem too cheap to be good, and they are.

I'm going to piece mine together , if I go Burly bars I'll use there cable & wiring kit and go with controls from some one else.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally bought all my parts individually because I didn't like 100% of any kit I found.I shortened up the lower brake lines a bit and other mods. Even with any kit I bought I always seem to replace parts making the kit not such a good deal,not that a kit isn't a good deal I'm just picky..
^^^^^

This is exactly what I am thinking - thank you MVious ... difficult to have personalization when someone has decided what goes in the kit, that goes on your bike . . .

I like the idea of going piece meal more and more . . .

Spoke with Chubby's on the phone today - they just do bars. Nothing else. Fella was good enough to tell me that for my '11 RKC I need +6" Brake Line(s) and Clutch Cable.
I think I will start hunting for those ==> maybe go braided!

Will have to think about wires too . . . switches/housings/brake fluid reservoir/handles & holders/riser bushings . . . whole-E-KRAP . . .

Am I missing anything? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rick.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Chubbys are good. I have a set of them and n my SG. As far as the switch housing/ master cylinders etc goes, in my experiences the moco has good stuff compared to what you CV an get in the aftermarket. But that's just my 2¢.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts