Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that 16" apes w/ 2" risers add a lot of leverage, but is 1/2" TO 3/4" play considered too much when pulling back and forth? I didn't want to go through any more work than I had so I kept the original ( polyurethane ) bushings. The 1/2" bolt goes into the riser 1 1/4".

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
36,950 Posts
Not really.

Had Aluminum bushings in my previous bike.

·
Señor Member
19,587 Posts
I know that 16" apes w/ 2" risers add a lot of leverage, but is 1/2" TO 3/4" play considered too much when pulling back and forth? I didn't want to go through any more work than I had so I kept the original ( polyurethane ) bushings. The 1/2" bolt goes into the riser 1 1/4".
Geez, sqeekie, how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez, sqeekie, how tall are you?
I'm only 6'. Used to be 6'1" but 63 years of gravity has had it's effect. Actually the bars come just about even with my shoulders, because the bars curve down a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Squeekie who did your paint work? Looks great.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could drill and put a roll pin or two in. That will definitely cure the issue
Another great idea. I think.

:eek

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You could drill and put a roll pin or two in. That will definitely cure the issue
I don't think the bars are moving in the riser clamps. I believe it is the play of the whole mechanism in the riser bushings that is a concern. With that much height, the play is going to be exaggerated.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Squeekie who did your paint work? Looks great.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein
i just got it last month. Paint job was one main attraction.

·
Señor Member
19,587 Posts
I'm only 6'. Used to be 6'1" but 63 years of gravity has had it's effect. Actually the bars come just about even with my shoulders, because the bars curve down a bit.
Holy eff, squeekie, you trying to defeat terrorism single-handedly? That setup is down right lethal. Brilliant. :notworthy

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
15 hours total. That thing fought me every way it could.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One problem that bugs me , other than the 1/2" play in the bars is that the top clamp and risers and handlebars are a little twisted towards the right in regards to the triple tree.. I even undid the 1/2" bolts and put a 4' 2x4 between the bars and twisted them to the left while tightening the bolts. I got it better than it was but it's still off a little. Can't figure out why....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never even noticed it during the 15 hour job. Now that I've seen it I focus on that stupid little flaw. I have solid bushings on order and hope maybe it's an issue with a bushing that's slightly worn. I have Kuryakyn Iso grips, so don't think vibration will be an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts