Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So some of you might have noticed my other threads on my new Super Glide. I'm still quite new to the bike, and i'm THINKING I should wait til spring til I decide for sure, but it looks like I'm going to need new handlebars.

The reason I say this is cuz it feels like I'm leaning WAYYY too far forward to reach the bars / controls. Even on the ONE ride down the road I've had on her thus far. It wasn't ever like that on my sporty, I sat upright and didn't have to reach at all to be comfy with the controls.

This means I need new bars, right? I'm 5'9", and i wanna say I have shorter arms than most dudes...

I should mention that I DEFINITELY don't want apes, at least not at this point. I would love to have the standard bars, just, i don't know, LARGER? more pullback? I don't know the terminology. I've poked around online and there's all kinds of bar measurements, like tip-to-tip, knurl, base width, Rise, pullback, etc...

Logically one would think the only way to get the right set of bars is to mount them on the bike one by one until you find the ones that are comfy-est... but that's obviously unrealistic. Do the dealers have ways of measuring this for you? and determining the right bars based on the measurements alone?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
find a freind-sit on bike with eyes close and put hands where you feel right- have friend measure hand location- buy bars that match

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buckanear is correct.
I have the same machine (2014 FXDC) and installed 5.5" pullback risers which worked perfectly. They were relatively inexpensive and did not require any cable changing.

Good luck.

Acky

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buckanear is correct.
I have the same machine (2014 FXDC) and installed 5.5" pullback risers which worked perfectly. They were relatively inexpensive and did not require any cable changing.

Good luck.

Acky
Oh awesome!! You wouldn't happen to have any before and after pics of said FXD? Or, even just an after??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Damager,

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll get you some pix of the bike. Will have to remove the cover as she's been under wraps since November and probably won't be on the road till mid-April (if we're lucky).

Acky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts