Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone. I have an 08 ST Xbones and I'm planning on switching out my bars and risers. Currently it has the stock setup and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are 12.5" apes with 2.75" risers (15.25"). Now, I'm planning on putting on 12" Wild 1 Outlawz bars with 4" risers. Now my calculations show that this is only a 0.75" difference. I'm thinking I'm not going to have to extend all my wiring and cables but I wanted to make sure. So what better place to try and find answers than right here.

I've searched this forum and others and I haven't really been able to find anything concrete in the answer I am looking for. Now correct me if I'm wrong but 12.5" bars plus 2.75" risers = 15.25" total as where 12" bars plus 4" risers = 16" total for a difference of 0.75". I had read somewhere that you could go up to an 1" or so possibly without extending your wiring and cables.

thanks for everyones input. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There is a little more to it that just the combined heights. The actual geometry of the bars makes a difference also. And, if you wire through the bars it can make a little bit of difference as well. On the other hand, you may be able re-route the cables and wiring and pick up some slack. There's really no way to know for sure without actually measuring everything out with some string (or just trying it) unless someone has already done the exact conversion that you want to do.

I will say that I recently did the bars on my Electra Glide Classic, and the new bars were supposed to be able to be used with the factory wiring and cables. Yes, it worked, but it was tight. It looked bad and it seemed to me that there was too much tension on the bar. I ended up installing +2" cables for my own preference and peace of mind.

FWIW, the throttle and idle cables are super easy to replace. The clutch is a little more work, but it really isn't that bad either. It's an extra $100 or so, but it may be worth it for the peace of mind. Plus, the steel cables look good.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
The Bones has extra wiring stuffed into the right front frame so you should be okay with your estimates. Look at where the rubber plug is in the frame on the right in front of the tank.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Also the denominator is usually the front brake line hose. That might need replacing.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Oops, I might be wrong about the Bones wiring harness. The Dyna models have extra wiring up inside the front frame, can't remember if the Softails do too.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I didn't buy a kit. I just bought the cables individually. I didn't have to extend the wires, but if I did, I sure wouldn't spend the money for the extensions they sell. I could splice and solder in a few extra inches of wiring for $3-4 worth of materials that I probably already have in my garage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did this last week to my softail... I wasn't too confident in my soldering skill either. With some help from from a buddy and some shrink wrap it was a breeze. Just got my throttle cables yesterday to extend them and installing today. Don't worry about wore kits...you will still need to solder / connect them too...go custom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts