Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Ultra Ltd. that I bought new in August of 2014. It has 3000 miles on it. I have done everything according to the manual. I took it in for the 1000 mile check up and it was ok. At the beginning of this season the battery failed even though I had on a trickle charge in a heated garage but that is a different subject. I had the bike on rubber mats over the winter to protect the tires. I have checked the tire pressure to make sure it is correct (I beleive it is 40psi). One day about 3 weeks ago I noticed oil on the mats that I park the bike on and wondered was it leaking oil. Checked the oil and it was ok. But I added a little just to make sure. I noticed the oil tracked from the front left side back. I didn't understand what it was but rode the bike and it had seemed fine until today. I took the bike out to get gas for a ride that my wife and I were going to take. On my way home from the gas station I was turning left and the handlebars jerked like if you were going over uneven surfaces on a road. This freaked me out a little because I hadn't noticed this before. It then would continue to jerk as I was going straight I think if I would turn a little to the left. I just checked it out again and it is still doing it. I then put together after reading about dampening I the shocks that maybe the oil that I saw was from the left shock. Maybe a seal has broken or is leaking. Does this sound like it might be the case? Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I wouldn't even be messing with it. It's still under warranty, make them make it right.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Maybe it was brake fluid? Maybe the caliper?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
What did they say other than...."we'll pick it up." ?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Possibilities include leaking/binding head bearings, leaking left fork tube seals, bent/binding fork tube, etc.

But as Stangs emphatically (as always) states, it's up to a Harley dealer to figure out. Preferably the selling dealer, since they are more likely to go the extra step if needed to resolve the problem. If they are balking at picking it up, tell them in no uncertain terms that you consider it a safety problem to ride it in for service.

--

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice I am taking it into the dealership as soon as I can. Looks like there is already another issue with the saddlebags it needs to be addressed. I will let you know what happens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
916 Posts
Possibilities include leaking/binding head bearings, leaking left fork tube seals, bent/binding fork tube, etc.

But as Stangs emphatically (as always) states, it's up to a Harley dealer to figure out. Preferably the selling dealer, since they are more likely to go the extra step if needed to resolve the problem. If they are balking at picking it up, tell them in no uncertain terms that you consider it a safety problem to ride it in for service.

--
The saddlebag recall took my dealer 10 minutes to do. the oil leak is certainly a safety issue from your description. make them come and get it. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts