Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fine folks. Well as stated in topic title I have a handlebar/riser problem I need assistance in. Being a newb with a Harley I purchased the "Z" style bars for my '04 sporty 1200 custom to change my bent 12" apes & they don't fit with my riser. The bars middle section is a bit over 1/8 inch too short to fit in the riser. I want to keep the same riser so that I don't have to change it & the speedo. I don't know the name of the riser that I have but it's the solid one piece that is on their parts catalog so im assuming it's stock. I am in love with the set up of the riser & don't want to change it. I currently have a set of drag bars but now my turn signals are hitting my tank on turns. So I'd love to know if any one has any idea(s) on how I can achieve this setup. Thanks in advance for any & all info.

·
2,327 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking the bar diameter. If that's the case, Harley did sell a fat mini ape 12" bar and riser kit. Im not sure if they were made for the sporty. That kit was 1.25" diameter bar, and 1.25" riser, your "Z" bar is 1.0". I don't think there is a way to make that work without changing the riser. But I'm sure someone has probably done it or tried it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can get turn signal relocation stuff either from Harley or off ebay. But the turn signals on the forks. Do you mean the knurled area is to short? If so you could sell those bars and get other ones, maybe? If you want to keep the drags on

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking the bar diameter. If that's the case, Harley did sell a fat mini ape 12" bar and riser kit. Im not sure if they were made for the sporty. That kit was 1.25" diameter bar, and 1.25" riser, your "Z" bar is 1.0". I don't think there is a way to make that work without changing the riser. But I'm sure someone has probably done it or tried it.
It does sound like he is talking about fat bars that go from 1.25" to a 1" center section.

You'll have to get some bars that the center section is wide enough to fit your risers.

To relocate your turn signals you can get a fork mount kit like this one

J&P Cycles® Custom Turn signal Mounts | 3200200 | J&P Cycles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies fellas.. I apologize if I was not specific on anything & I was referring to the center section of the bar that gets pinned by the riser. it is 1/8" too short. As per the relocation of the signals I would not have to move them if I can get these "Z" bars on as it will be higher & they will clear the gas tank. I am unable to return the bars now as they have past 30 days. I was not able to start working on the bike cause of the stupid cold & snow.. It was suggested to me to cut the bar in the middle & have someone weld it with a bar inside for extra strength but im hesitant to do that as then I will have 4 welded spots in the center that can break instead of the 2 on each side of the center.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Is this picture like your riser? If so, that's the stock riser. Double check that the bars you purchased were for a 2004 - 2006 XL1200C. If not, those bars will not fit. The risers were different for previous and later years so you have to make sure they fit an 04-06 XL1200C. You can always resell them on eBay for at least around what you paid for them and buy the bars that are made to fit your bike. Even if you lose $20, it's a "Dummy tax" as I call it and just something you learn as you go.

Attachments

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
I have the exact riser and I am doing mini apes.

I have the same riser on my 04 XL1200C and you need bars that have a 5-1/2" run of 1" where the riser goes or you need to run a 1" diameter bar. There are a very rare few bars that are 1.25" diameter and have the 5-1/2" center at 1" that will fit. I found a Burly 16" Ape that is made that way but that was the only one other than the stock HD bar that comes on my bike. All bars with a 1" diameter and at least a 6" or 7" center should fit that riser..

:bikerguy:​

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again folks. Yes that is the riser that I have 02sportytex. I'm trying not to put apes back on as I like the style of the bars so I will be searching hard to get her back on the road ASAP. I will get all cables changed as well to stock once I get the correct bars. Thanks for the info & help.. ride safe folks.

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
upon further research on the airwaves I found this set without the5.25" center just straight 1" in diameter. Let me know if the specs look correct if possible. Thanks.
Jammer 1" Z-Bars For Harley - RevZilla
Nice set of bars, I think they should be a direct replacement for stock, unless you have to go with shorter cables.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the input. Skypeace I do have to get the cables back to stock cause I had 12" apes on before this handlebar. Can't wait to finish her up.

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
My new bars are being delivered tomorrow, I am anticipating the mod and then riding with them. I can understand your excitement. My bike is in the shed, snowed in so I won't be able to do my handlebars until the weather breaks, basically just as soon as I can reasonably ride I will be doing the work.

Getting all my parts together, even doing the directional relocation to the forks. May your mods go even better than you planned.

By the way roe1880 I am originally from Money Earnin' Mount Vernon, NY just up the block from you. I hope to catch up with you while rolling the East Coast.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skypeace we have teams & events in CT all the time.. Just look for Ghetto Coalition teams. Freaking snow is slowing me down horribly... Good luck on your bars as well..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts