Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at changing my handlebars. Looking at 12 inch "Z" bars under 200 anyone have a recommendation on brand? I ask because I don't see anything on j&p that I like. Also wondering where I can find az height laws.(all I see is hands can't be over shoulders)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looking for a handlebar idea or two. I have a 2014 XL1200C. Everything is stock. I am 5'9", weight don't matter. After riding about 60 miles or so, my shoulder starts to hurt(ache). I have a poor man's cruise control that allows me to hang my arm for a bit here and there. Is there a handlebar or position of the stock bar that people have done to help. I also realize that being 69+ has a bit to do with it too, but there must be a little something I can do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looking for a handlebar idea or two. I have a 2014 XL1200C. Everything is stock. I am 5'9", weight don't matter. After riding about 60 miles or so, my shoulder starts to hurt(ache). I have a poor man's cruise control that allows me to hang my arm for a bit here and there. Is there a handlebar or position of the stock bar that people have done to help. I also realize that being 69+ has a bit to do with it too, but there must be a little something I can do.
Sporty, I'm 26 and have the same issue so it's not just age. I'm commenting because of the odd similarity. I'm also 5'9", and also get pain / a numb feeling after about 1-3 hours into a ride. Riding is not the first thing that has brought this feeling to light, but it is the most aggravating. It starts in my left trapezius muscle or "traps", its a dull, tingly pain. Then the same pain spreads up the back left side of my neck, making my neck very stiff and painful.

I usually just deal with it until it starts getting bad, then head home.
I am also curious if there's something I could change to combat this.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I put 12" inch mini apes on my scooter to start with, felt much better. Then later on i put 4" risers on underneath the apes......I love it. Same as you guys, shoulders an arms. I'm 5'11" but i don't think a couple of inches matters that much, unless you ask her....:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah right now I have 10" mini apes and 2&1/2" risers. It stopped the pain in my shoulders but I want to go a little taller and more styled. Prolly just gonna toss 12" bars with about 8" pullback off jp cycles. I am 5'10 and 30 so yeah about that same size. Hit a little financial snag on the bars but I am hoping to get the bars next check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guess for now I have to deal wit pain for a while, since I have no want to go with apes. I am about to buy new bars, but they are really low profile. I have never sat on a bike with apes, but I just don't think it's for me. I like them on some, not so much on others.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I went to drag bars on my Nightster because of shoulder pain. Work's fine for me. The balance of the bike feels better to me also. Have had someone who rode it complained about her neck. May go to apes some day, they are alot more comfortable then they look.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts