Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just coming up for 10,000 miles on my 07 streetbob and have noticed that the handling is becoming a little vague and nowhere near as surefooted as when new.The rear tyre is not yet down to the wear indicators but there is a definite flat area of wear.Front forks not actually leaking but can see oil smears on the legs and if touched can smell fork oil on your hands.It's very lively over rough roads and white lines.What do you all think? Just the tyre?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I would guess tires, how many miles do you have on them tires? and what kind of tires are they? I know my dunlops started to wear in a strange way and it caused some handling issues.
I've also heard on my Vrod similar things can happen when the fall away needs adjustment

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they're Dunlops and they've done 9,400 miles,rear tyre worn more than front.Also I have noticed a bit of a clunk from the steering head on really hard braking.So perhaps it all needs adjusting.I have booked it in for a service and tyre change in three weeks time.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I'm not possitive if the 07 streetbob has got somewhat similar front ends but I know that clunk in my bike is fixed with a fall away adjustment

and DAMN!!! you got a lot of miles on them there tires :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Try a superbrace and Metzler tires. The oil smear is normal but if you don't have enough oil in there your front end will be way to soft. You would know if you are bottoming out too easily.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Dunlops and they've done 9,400 miles,rear tyre worn more than front
and DAMN!!! you got a lot of miles on them there tires
I know it's really dumb to run tires that are overdue, but I'm just replacing my LowRider's Dunlops at way over 12,000 miles. There's still a hint of each tread groove on the rear, but the front would pass inspection. I'll admit I have been leaving the LR at home on days with any chance of rain, taking the V-Rod, which got it's new tires earlier. I did get caught in the rain with no rear tread, major pucker factor, convinced me I need to stop putting off mounting the new tires I've had waiting in the shop for months.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tires. Or Tyres, which ever you prefer. You got a lot of miles on those.
I run a fork brace from day one. (almost) big change, and after two Dulops, (15K) I just went to Metzlers front and rear. WOW. Now I need new pegs.:ride

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New tyre fitted, fork seals replaced (under Warranty) so new fork oil, steering head adjusted, and bike back to handling as new. Probably the whole issue just down to the almost worn out tyre.:ride

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say...final answer....tires.

I run with fork brace, and just put Metzlers on frt and rr at 15k, third rr tire.

WOW. ZOOM, now I have to get new foot pegs, they are getting worn out:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts