Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a Harbor Freight Tag along trailer for Sturgis this year. The top is made of ABS plastic that isn't too thick. Am looking for a way to add a little stiffness (yeah I know the comments that will come from THAT one). Am thinking of some 2" wide aluminum strips along the inside, or maybe laying down some fiberglass matting.

Anyone done this yet? or have any experience with mating fiberglass mat with ABS? any tips would be great, thanks

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
bought a Harbor Freight Tag along trailer for Sturgis this year. The top is made of ABS plastic that isn't too thick. Am looking for a way to add a little stiffness (yeah I know the comments that will come from THAT one). Am thinking of some 2" wide aluminum strips along the inside, or maybe laying down some fiberglass matting.

Anyone done this yet? or have any experience with mating fiberglass mat with ABS? any tips would be great, thanks

LOL yeah you said "stiff"... anyhow, one thing ya might watch out for is if you do any drilling on that plastic, how were you planning to mount the aluminum...yeah I said "mount"....

If you have to drill through, you might get cracking. Just a thought, good luck.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Fiberglass and abs expand and contract differently. Probably not a good idea. What are the odds of getting another top and gluing them together with abs pipe glue or mechanical fasteners?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
main concern I have is I want to paint it to kinda match the bike. was gonna use a flex agent/primer to help.

to get another top, I would probably have to buy another trailer.

as far as drilling (yeah, I said "drilling") there are already holes drilled by the factory for accessory mounts. it's kinda an ABS mix...like on a car bumper

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as far as mounting the aluminum... silicone the strips to the top for vibration resistance, and bolt em to the top. maybe some acorn nuts on top for looks

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought a small trailer at tractor supply with expanded metal top. I added a thin sheet of pressure treated plywood to the top, bolted down, then painted to match. Works good.
It carries my bikes and my rzr when needed.
Good luck and have fun on your trip.

·
Retired citizen
24,162 Posts
What about bolting a tourpak rack on the top of the cover then on the underside use some angle aluminum rails to span the tourpak bolts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have one of these trailers and while the lid seems a little flimsy it is solid when shut and clamped down. I did add some small car roof racks to be able to carry some folding chairs. Drilling holes in the plastic was easy. The rack was supposed to grab onto the car drip rail so I used four marine cleats (backed with small steel plates inside the lid for strength) to attach it to instead of a drip rail. The roof rack did seem to stiffen it up a little bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep Schmidty....was gonna do the tour pak thing, but I didn't want to with the roof being so flimsy. didn't think about using angle, I think ill give that a try

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey Wiredog, did you paint yours? if so, what did you use? followed a thread on a Goldwing site, and the guy did one of these trailers right!! I figured I could just imitate his, and for 1/2 of what any of the other trailers I've been seeing costs

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Didn't paint it. Was going to paint to match the bike but the paint probably would have cost at least as much as the trailer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna try the rattle can approach and see how that works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts