Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my 2000 heritage off at the stealership today to have the front tire replaced, picked it up right before they closed, took off and the front brake lever is really hard to pull, very little pull on the lever and you can't squeezed it anymore , front brakes does work but not like it was, what could they have screwed up just putting a tire on,
The bike does have thunderstar wheels on it, if it matters.
Bike is easy to push so I don't think the brakes are dragging.
Can I fix it, I really don't want to take it all the way back to them

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Poser Member # 99
17,209 Posts
Check the caliper to see if it's working and not put on wrong or piston is stuck , check pads if thier in right . or bound up

good luck . you need to check who your mech is at the Dealership the new kids that are working at them aren't to smart. No Expereance I just graduatted from Harley school . so I'm A Hardley Mech . Just Saying :think

The good older wrenchs are retiring or have had enough

·
Retired citizen
22,242 Posts
The service tech probably spread the brake pads with a screwdriver to get the wheel on and off. That pushes brake fluid back up into the master reservoir. Supposed to take the cap off the reservoir when doing that or the lever will be hard.
Remove the cap from the reservoir and check the fluid level. Might have to bleed the brake caliper too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake fluid is fine, bleed the brakes no air bubbles, took the calipers off and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, did not take the pins out of the shoes, did not have a socket to remove them, the shoes seemed to be moving, still hard lever,
Any thoughts

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
Watch those front brakes ! My bud crashed because of his custom front brakes...they were dragging ...no slack at all in the lever. they got hot and expanded and locked up. He ended up in hospital...and was lucky at that !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts