Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 RK Custom and I want to switch from the hard leather bags to the plastic ones. Has anyone done this? Im wondering if the holes will line up and what if any parts I will need other than the bags?

·
Registered
402 Posts
should match up, but consult your dealer for sure.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
A really easy way to find out is to ask someone at a bike gathering. It takes about 1 minute to take a bag off and install on another bike. Then buy the guy a beverage.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
If they're made for your bike they should fit if they're a reputable make.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did that swap with an 08 Road King Classic. The hard bags came with "Z" shaped brackets and a selection of spacers. I don't know if hard bags come with brackets or if the parts guy took good care of me. In addition, you may want to provide your key code to the place that makes your locks (not included with my bags) and have them keyed to match your ignition key. My new bags also did not come with the reflectors in the latches, they were about $5 each extra.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did that swap with an 08 Road King Classic. The hard bags came with "Z" shaped brackets and a selection of spacers. I don't know if hard bags come with brackets or if the parts guy took good care of me. In addition, you may want to provide your key code to the place that makes your locks (not included with my bags) and have them keyed to match your ignition key. My new bags also did not come with the reflectors in the latches, they were about $5 each extra.
Thank you, a appreciate that you gave me facts and not just speculation. One question for you, did you get H-D bags or aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
It is my understanding that you just have to rotate the bracket so it will align with the new bags mounting holes.

·
Wayward Son
23,510 Posts
Thank you, a appreciate that you gave me facts and not just speculation. One question for you, did you get H-D bags or aftermarket ones?
So let me see. You would rather not get any answers as opposed to educated speculation?
Then you get an answer that suits you and you take a cheap shot at those who took the time to answer.

You actually got a good answer when you were told if the bags are made for your bike they should fit.
Of course if it is a used bike, and you did not say or you do`t know what has been done to it already, or us not knowing what changes you may have made that could affect fitment....

I`ll remember this the next time you ask a question that I may have a factual answer for.

·
Banned
71 Posts
So let me see. You would rather not get any answers as opposed to educated speculation?
Then you get an answer that suits you and you take a cheap shot at those who took the time to answer.

You actually got a good answer when you were told if the bags are made for your bike they should fit.
Of course if it is a used bike, and you did not say or you do`t know what has been done to it already, or us not knowing what changes you may have made that could affect fitment....

I`ll remember this the next time you ask a question that I may have a factual answer for.
Is it damp in the basement this morning ????? :)

:coffee:

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
When I bought hard bags and hardware for my bike, I ordered a pair f lock cylind ers from the dealer keyed to match by VIN. I don't remember the exact cost, but I didn't thinl they were very expensive -- and I'm a certified cheapskate.

(Those locks were one of the few things that I did not think were too expensive :D)
--

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If you dont have a specific answer to my specific question then don't waste your time. And stop crying like a little girl. All too many feel the need to chime in when they don't know.

·
Wayward Son
23,510 Posts
If you dont have a specific answer to my specific question then don't waste your time. And stop crying like a little girl. All too many feel the need to chime in when they don't know.
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is my understanding that you just have to rotate the bracket so it will align with the new bags mounting holes.
That makes sense and is consistent with the research that ive already done. Thanks ill give that a shot and see if it works.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts