Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have some HD soft lowers on my road king but I have been thinking about getting a set of hard lowers for the winter. Has anybody used both and is there a difference in wind protection? The soft lowers I have work ok but really only block the wind off of my feet and ankles, do the hard fairings come up higher to keep some of the wind off your knees? I don't wear chaps so I really just want these for more wind protection in the cold from the ankles up and then they will come when the weather warms up again.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have soft lowers and fork air deflectors on my Electra Glide Classic. I thought I really wanted hard lowers until my buddy and I swapped rides for a tank of fuel. I couldn't really tell any difference in air from my knees to my waist. For the $$ difference I'm now happy with the soft lowers. Plus living in the South it's a bonus to be able to R&R in less than 1 minute. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Breeze, I'm still kicking it around on what to do. Since I was just planning on using them in the winter I was just going to go with an off brand from ebay and a quick release kit. I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on side mount fork air deflectors?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Diezel had tried to use them on his RK, but they gave him some bad buffeting issues if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for the input Breeze, I'm still kicking it around on what to do. Since I was just planning on using them in the winter I was just going to go with an off brand from ebay and a quick release kit. I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on side mount fork air deflectors?
If you get the newer vented lowers, you can run them all year around.

On a side note, chaps or leather pants will not only be warmer but safer as well. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just went through this. I am getting the King dressed for winter with a new batwing fairing and looked into hard lowers. The part I did not like is that it would be the only thing that didn't "snap" on. The windshield, fairing, tour pack and sissy bar all go on or off in seconds with no tools so....I went with the soft ones. Now after two weeks (three days with rain) and riding a friends ultra I think they work just as well. Plus, like webco2 said, can't beat a good set of chaps.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm about to order a set of the Mutazu hard lowers for my SG. At $129, I haven't lost much if I decide I don't like them. And since my bike is vivid black, not paint necessary. I think I will go ahead and add the quick release too.

and +1 on the chaps. With or without the hard or soft lowers, I wear my chaps if it is cool enough. Makes a huge difference as far as wind protection.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I also use the soft lowers and they work great. There are two advantages I see to the vented hard lowers.

1) The vents. Running the soft lowers over 70 deg F makes me concerned with engine overheating. The vents would allow you to keep the lowers on year round. This is not a big deal to me but would be a nice convenience.
2) Ability to add speakers. You can never have too many speakers.

·
Been There Done That
228 Posts
I have a RK and in the winter I install my hard lowers. They just plain work! In the rain they will keep your feet dry and warmer. In the cold they will block a good amout of wind. With the quick detach/install kit I can install or remove in 10 minutes. They have additional storage for gloves etc (use the magnetic doors), elephant ears don't. I hate wearing chaps and my hard lowers block enough so I don't have to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys, leaning toward the vented hard lowers with a quick detach mounting system, can get the whole thing from ebay for about $150 in glossy black which will go fine with my vivid black bike. I'm going to swing by the dealer this weekend and check out some bikes with them to give me a better idea before ordering. I'm not a big fan of chaps, I've tried on a few and they just aren't comfortable for me. Broon my HD soft lowers say not use above 55 degrees, you maybe pushing it using them at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've used my soft lowers past 70 degrees with no problems before. Last year on a San Antonio trip in mid march, it hit upper 80's during the day. But it was pretty cool most of the day. Wore leathers all but maybe a couple hours of the mid day.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have the vented hard lowers on my Ultra. I didn't bother to remove them in the summer.

One thing about them that sort of bugs the crap out of me is they split the air in such a way that it sends a stead pulse of air right into your face. Yes, it keeps the wet and cold air off your legs, but at a cost.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Wind in your face riding a bike. Who would have thunk it Bro! :)
First of all, "eff you" :)

Then I will elaborate that it isn't like riding wind. It's more like someone blowing a nozzle from a compressor at a specific spot on your face. I don't like it.

I also no longer like riding without my rider back rest and my C-D player. If you have comments about that, please reference my opening remarks.

·
Banned
71 Posts

Then I will elaborate that it isn't like riding wind. It's more like someone blowing a nozzle from a compressor at a specific spot on your face. I don't like it.

I also no longer like riding without my rider back rest and my C-D player. If you have comments about that, please reference my opening remarks.
I must be doing something all wrong then. I've not had that problem as you describe it. :confused

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I must be doing something all wrong then. I've not had that problem as you describe it. :confused

I am about 6'4" and long waisted. It hits me in the cheeks and eyes. Anyone a couple of inches shorter or longer legged would probably have it hit the helmet or top of the head and it would feel "normal."

I know that it's off the lowers. You can put your hand a few inches above the top edge and feel it plain as day even with gloves on.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
I am about 6'4" and long waisted. It hits me in the cheeks and eyes. Anyone a couple of inches shorter or longer legged would probably have it hit the helmet or top of the head and it would feel "normal."

I know that it's off the lowers. You can put your hand a few inches above the top edge and feel it plain as day even with gloves on.
I am the same size as you (long-legged as opposed to long-waisted tho) and I don't believe that I have this issue with air blowing in my face yet I do feel a buffet on the top of my helmet, which jives with your observation above....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I am the same size as you (long-legged as opposed to long-waisted tho) and I don't believe that I have this issue with air blowing in my face yet I do feel a buffet on the top of my helmet, which jives with your observation above....
Next time you are out, feel around that top rounded edge of the lower. See if you don't feel a stream of air leading off it. It's probably missing you for some reason.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts

No comments on the back rest, I have one I use for long rides. Also have tunes.

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Ive had both.

The soft lowers snap on and off quickly and easily.

IMO the hard lowers keep you drier a little longer, but in the end, your still going to get soaked if your out in the rain much more than 5 min.

I have a 13 SG and Im going to do a color matched set of hard lowers because I want the glove box speakers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts