Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a gal jump into my lane talking on her cell phone,slam on her brakes right in front of me. I jumped on the brakes of my 07 Ultra and the back wheel started to come around to the front of the bike. Had no way out,let off the brakes to right my self,end up in her trunk,or stay on the brakes and put my New ultra down on her right side and not hit the back end of her car. I put the bike down . When the light turned green she took off and left me in the street. Broke my clavical, and tore up my shoulder. Also did $2,500.00 damage to my bike. Panic stops on that bike are something else. You better be ready for that back end to break loose. I ask Harley about putting ABS on my 07 and they said they would not do it. Too hard for one. I still love my new dresser and plan on keeping her but that bike doesn't make hard stops good at all. I've been riding for damn near 40 years got 3 Harleys in the garage. The others stop a lot better. I know two other people with 07 Ultra's and they have had the same thing happen to them (back wheel comming around) on HARD stops, they had room to let off the brakes and right themselves. Keep this in mind the next time your out and need to jump on the brakes. Good luck and ride safe RAMROD P.S. Should be back up on my bikes by early December,cant miss the toy runs for the kids.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ! The rear wheel locks up way to easy on this heavy bike. Causing you to go into a slide. Most riders are not very good at controling a motorcycle sliding sideways down the street. The only way to get control of the bike is to let off the brake and in some cases give it gas to right yourself. Not an easy thing to do with a stopped car in front of you, a tall curb on your left and a car on your right. You are right the back wheel has to be locked up. I am saying that the back wheel locks up too easy. That might be why they are putting ABS on the new ones. Cop bikes have had ABS brakes as options sence about 2002 I think. Now I know why. I have never road a bike with ABS brakes but as soon as my shoulder will let me I may go and test drive one. Harley told me the only way to upgrade is to trade my 07 for an 08 . Will loose too much money to do that. Just got the 07 running great ! New pipes ,new air cleaner, new oil cooler, power comander & 4.3 hrs on dyno. Not near as hot as stock. Oh well cant have everything. I just want people to find this out the easy way, by reading this. Not the hard way,like I did. 3hrs in surgery,and 4+ months of not riding if I am lucky. Stay safe and Ride Free RAMROD

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yes ! The rear wheel locks up way to easy on this heavy bike. Causing you to go into a slide. Most riders are not very good at controling a motorcycle sliding sideways down the street. The only way to get control of the bike is to let off the brake and in some cases give it gas to right yourself. Not an easy thing to do with a stopped car in front of you, a tall curb on your left and a car on your right. You are right the back wheel has to be locked up. I am saying that the back wheel locks up too easy. That might be why they are putting ABS on the new ones. Cop bikes have had ABS brakes as options sence about 2002 I think. Now I know why. I have never road a bike with ABS brakes but as soon as my shoulder will let me I may go and test drive one. Harley told me the only way to upgrade is to trade my 07 for an 08 . Will loose too much money to do that. Just got the 07 running great ! New pipes ,new air cleaner, new oil cooler, power comander & 4.3 hrs on dyno. Not near as hot as stock. Oh well cant have everything. I just want people to find this out the easy way, by reading this. Not the hard way,like I did. 3hrs in surgery,and 4+ months of not riding if I am lucky. Stay safe and Ride Free RAMROD
Thats a mighty fine gesture on your part. I always try to learn the easy way if possible. Your dealer is not BSing you. I have heard that tha ABS system is not compatable on any of the Harley 07 or earlier models. I LOVE ABS the fastest possible way to stop while still being able to steer. I hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found the metzlers a little more user friendly than the dunlops--ive had front lock up as well-as soon as you hear that screeching of the tires ease up on the brakes---stupid I know but the big rk does not stop real fast

glad the damage was not alot worse

1 - 6 of 6 Posts