Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hard Water Spots

14K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  icprules1978 
#1 ·
I washed my bike yesterday and noticed white-gray stains on my engine guard (one side only). I did research and realized that it was hard water spots caused my minerals dried onto the paint during hot and sunny days. I realized that I had got sprayed while a business was watering their grass on my way to work at 4:30am yesterday and that since it sat on my bike all day while it was hot and sunny that it stained. I tried washing it off but no avail. I read that I can get rid of the hard water spots but it takes time (which I don't have a lot of). I was wondering if anyone makes a wipe or chemical to help speed up the process.

#5 ·
its black...sorry I didn't post pics before but at work and had to wait until the next break...lol

Attachments

#6 ·
Wow...that doesn't look like any hard water spotting I've ever seen. Will a little car wax take it off?

In the picture is looks like it has actually stained the paint. I don't see it on any other painted surface..that we can see.

#8 ·
damn that sux....like I said I didn't even notice it until I was washing my bike yesterday....well it looks like I'll ride with it as is until the winter then I'll take it off and have it re-powder coated....

#9 ·
i just thought of something...maybe it was the quality of the paint that was used the first time...I purchased it online and it was already painted black...think that could be it???

#17 ·
it has no texture feel to it....I tried using dawn, soft sponge, and elbow grease but no effect...then I tried a house hold chemical that's suppose to help remove hard water spots with a soft cloth but all it did was fade the paint to a dull black in the spot where I tried it not to mention that the spots were still there just faded......so I decided to remove it have it powder coated gloss black....I noticed though that the guard's paint had chipped where it was bolted on (meaning no paint at all)...So I think it was done in a cheap quick paint...so after I get off work at 11am I'm dropping it off at the powder coat place....I'll post pics when I get it back...:biker:

#20 ·
Lol...I dropped it off after work yesterday at my regular powder coating place....It's gonna cost me $20 to have it powder coated...,)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.