Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm trying to identify a carburetor that is on our 79 XLH1000 sportster. I know it is not the original carb. the only #'s I can find on it are stamped into the body of the carb. It is a Harley carb and the #s are 90at eqgp. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
38,524 Posts
Post a pic, one of us will be able to identify it.

·
Registered
38,524 Posts
Thats a 40mm Harley Keihin CV. Perfect size for Sportsters - 88" TC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. The problem I’m having is that it seems to be over fueling. When I do manage to get it running it spits fuel out the exhaust and fouls plugs quickly.

·
Registered
38,524 Posts
May just need to be rebuilt. The fouling could be from the float valve letting fuel seep into the bowl, when fuel flow should be shut off.

·
Flats where its at
32 Posts
Thanks for your help, I’ll try again and maybe have better luck.
those khein carbs arent the best; would be my last choice,, I used to run a bendix carb on my 900,, real good on sportsters, s&s carbs are pretty good also. your best bet if u can find one

·
Registered
71 Posts
While the CARB ( KEIHIN CV-40 ) is off the BIKE & being rebuilt ...
Put it back to STOCK H-D specifications
Look up the specifications for a 1000cc Sportster & pre-PURCHASE a new set of JETS & a new NEEDLE Valve
also a new VACUUM "Slider" is cheap insurance that yours is not POROUS nor has a Pinhole of Tear in it
New GASKETS from CARB to INTAKE & from INTAKE to Heads too
Cover ALL your BASES & then you can Rule out the CARBURETOR as the Problem ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
CV carbs were not on Harley's until "I think" 84 or 85. In my opinion the non cv carbs were pretty good and one still works well on my brothers 82 shovel. The carb was often blamed for poor performance due to air leaks in the manifold to head rubber sleeves. These sleeves often went bad because every one scrapped the OEM air cleaners and failed to provide adequate support for the manifold/carb/air cleaner. I have no experience with the cv carbs but if I were you I would find an original carb and use that. Back in those days they were often replaced with S&S or Mikuni but I never saw a benefit of performance or drive ability with those carbs.

·
Retired citizen
23,108 Posts
IMO CV carbs were the best thing Harley did with their bikes. Those still are the best retro-fit for any Harley older than maybe '99. I've put them on Iron Heads, Pans, Shovels, EVOs and TCs and they do the job.
I wish I'd have a whole shelf of usable CVs at my disposal !
J&P used to sell new CVs in their catalogs, cost more than the comparable S&S setup.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
IMO CV carbs were the best thing Harley did with their bikes. Those still are the best retro-fit for any Harley older than maybe '99. I've put them on Iron Heads, Pans, Shovels, EVOs and TCs and they do the job.
I wish I'd have a whole shelf of usable CVs at my disposal !
J&P used to sell new CVs in their catalogs, cost more than the comparable S&S setup.

Variable venturi, air/fuel on engine demand, decent metering .........what's not to like?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts