Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500 dollar Harley jacket I bought in 01 with a two way zipper on it. A little over a year after I got it the plastic zipper became screwed up. I have to line it up just right to be able to start it and zip it. The zipper will also zip up to open or unzip as well, which on all my jackets I own that do that, I never unzipped it from the bottom. Gonna cost 60 bucks to replace. I don't mind plastic, I just don't want a 2-way zipper. If I can go brass, I will.

Who does that, unzip their jacket from the bottom?

Not the first high end product Harley sells that messed up on me, I hope everyone else is happy with their gear.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I have a 500 dollar Harley jacket I bought in 01 with a two way zipper on it. A little over a year after I got it the plastic zipper became screwed up. I have to line it up just right to be able to start it and zip it. The zipper will also zip up to open or unzip as well, which on all my jackets I own that do that, I never unzipped it from the bottom. Gonna cost 60 bucks to replace. I don't mind plastic, I just don't want a 2-way zipper. If I can go brass, I will.

Not the first high end product Harley sells that messed up on me, I hope everyone else is happy with their gear.
I have a leather jacket from 04 that has metal zippers. The only problem I had was that I kept zipping the pocket liner up. One time it got stuck so bad that I had to use channel locks and a lot of force to undo it. I ended up breaking the cool HD zipper pull off. Now I have a key ring for a pull.

It worked out good because with the key ring I can use the zipper with gloves on.

I realize that this story has little to do with your dilemma, but I felt the need to share.

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
I have a leather jacket from 04 that has metal zippers. The only problem I had was that I kept zipping the pocket liner up. One time it got stuck so bad that I had to use channel locks and a lot of force to undo it. I ended up breaking the cool HD zipper pull off. Now I have a key ring for a pull.

It worked out good because with the key ring I can use the zipper with gloves on.

I realize that this story has little to do with your dilemma, but I felt the need to share.
Squirrel!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
If you unzip it a little from the bottom it keeps the jacket from bulging out in the belly area.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
The zip open from the bottom feature allows you to partially open the jacket at the waist without having to pull the zipper entirely open from the top. For instance, winter time and you have got to pee, just open the zipper from the bottom and you won't lose all of the heat that is trapped inside of your jacket. Great feature at the convenience store too. You can partially unzip and reach your hand into your pants pocket without having to fully open the jacket.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
The zip open from the bottom feature allows you to partially open the jacket at the waist without having to pull the zipper entirely open from the top. For instance, winter time and you have got to pee, just open the zipper from the bottom and you won't lose all of the heat that is trapped inside of your jacket. Great feature at the convenience store too. You can partially unzip and reach your hand into your pants pocket without having to fully open the jacket.
I also like to put my hand in my pants at the local convenience store.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
1. His intimidating size.
2. The sound of Priscilla's exhaust.
3. This spikey things around Priscilla's license plate.
4. His paws are so big he can palm a 20lb medicine ball.
5. His criminal record.

7-11 are his restraining orders, in chronological order.

12. Random manifestations of his Tourette's Syndrome.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Back to the Harley clothes...

My main cold weather leather Harley jacket was purchased in 1990. Did have a snap break last year, but the dealer replaced it at no charge.

I do have to admit though that here in the North Texas climate the leather doesn't get used as much as it would in Wisconsin or the like.

Still, I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. :)

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I don't have to unzip my jacket to pee or put my hands in my pocket, it ends at my waist. All of my jackets end there. :think

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

Come on it is a 12 year old jacket and it is just the zipper. Even the best zipper isn't going to last forever.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on it is a 12 year old jacket and it is just the zipper. Even the best zipper isn't going to last forever.
Come on man, really? The problem occured 2 years after purchase. My dad has an old leather biker jacket from the 50's that is 100% intact and operational with a zipper that has no problems. I'm a jacket whore... horse and 10 jackets over 30 years old all have functional zippers. I'm not George Castanza, with zippers. IF HARLEY want's to put their name on products, they better use the best materials, make them in the US or not charge premium prices. NOW you know why I don't buy Harley junk unless it is parts for the bike.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Another thing is, if you have a problem with a HD jacket etc you have to return it to the same store you purchased it from...

I had a problem with a zipper that fell apart on a jacket within the warranty period.... problem was I was working on the road at the time.

Bought the jacket in St Louis, Lived in KC, was working in Kommiefornia. Big pain in the arse to get the jacket back to St Louis for exchange!

Never again.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Come on man, really? The problem occured 2 years after purchase. My dad has an old leather biker jacket from the 50's that is 100% intact and operational with a zipper that has no problems. I'm a jacket whore... horse and 10 jackets over 30 years old all have functional zippers. I'm not George Castanza, with zippers. IF HARLEY want's to put their name on products, they better use the best materials, make them in the US or not charge premium prices. NOW you know why I don't buy Harley junk unless it is parts for the bike.

OK, I missed the point about it happening in the first 2 years you owned it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts