Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic from my dad.
It has Vance and Hines pipes- look to be offset and a staggered length and straight and straight-cut at the ends. I had to drain the gas and change the petcock and I put new plugs in. It really gets it when throttle is open wants to cough and spit/ hesitate a little at lower speeds when I slowly go through the throttle stroke. I think the carb jets might be a little clogged. The gas that was in it was a little varnishy smelling; but I changed it out and added a little Seafoam to the new gas. I started it and have run it around the neighborhood, and as I said, when I give it all- there is good power. I can only run when choked. If I push the choke in- then she wants to stall. It doesn't want to idle unless choked I am asking for help on next steps I should complete. I was thinking to keep running gas/seafoam mixture through some miles and try and get it all cleaned. My dad had it in the garage for a while and wasn't riding it due to a bad hip.
I do not know if the carb was re-jetted after the pipes were added. I am thinking I need to pull the carb so if I do I am thinking I should get a re-jet kit. Can someone please offer some advice?
A little more info- I had to change the plugs- when I first got it and changed the gas- I ran it a bit but then after I changed the petcock It wouldn't start until I changed the plugs. The plugs looked a little black- almost like a little oil residue was on the tip of the plugs. I tried to clean it but still wouldn't start. Once I changed the plugs it fired right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MRossi
·
Registered
Joined 24 hours ago
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 24 hours ago
I just picked up a 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic from my dad.
It has Vance and Hines pipes- look to be offset and a staggered length and straight and straight-cut at the ends. I had to drain the gas and change the petcock and I put new plugs in. It really gets it when throttle is open wants to cough and spit/ hesitate a little at lower speeds when I slowly go through the throttle stroke. I think the carb jets might be a little clogged. The gas that was in it was a little varnishy smelling; but I changed it out and added a little Seafoam to the new gas. I started it and have run it around the neighborhood, and as I said, when I give it all- there is good power. I can only run when choked. If I push the choke in- then she wants to stall. It doesn't want to idle unless choked I am asking for help on next steps I should complete. I was thinking to keep running gas/seafoam mixture through some miles and try and get it all cleaned. My dad had it in the garage for a while and wasn't riding it due to a bad hip.
I do not know if the carb was re-jetted after the pipes were added. I am thinking I need to pull the carb so if I do I am thinking I should get a re-jet kit. Can someone please offer some advice?
A little more info- I had to change the plugs- when I first got it and changed the gas- I ran it a bit but then after I changed the petcock It wouldn't start until I changed the plugs. The plugs looked a little black- almost like a little oil residue was on the tip of the plugs. I tried to clean it but still wouldn't start. Once I changed the plugs it fired right up.

·
Retired citizen
22,280 Posts
Only runs with the enrichener on = plugged pilot jet. Replace with a Keihin CV # 48. When the bowl is off remove the main jet holder and let the needle jet fall out then reinsert it concave end up.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
Schmidty knows way more than me. Do what he says and consider a 5$ in line fuel filter. You likely have some corrosion in the tank too.

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
Another thing to consider, especially if it sat, is that it might have an air intake leak, that's another common problem that can cause it to want to stall without the enrichner and can cause it to cough and sputter in the low end.

That's actually what I would check before rejetting: clean the carb, check for air intake leaks. You're going to want to make sure you do that before jetting anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Drained the FUEL
Changed the Petcock
Replaced the Spark Plugs
Added SEAFOAM &
Unsure of WHERE the previous OWNER set up the CARBURETOR ...
( Jets / Needle Valve / etc / Etc / ETC / )

try NOT to chase so many "BUNNIES" at one time ...
I find that when I make too MANY changes at once ...
then have PROBLEMS ...
I don't know which "change" HELPED & Which "change" HURT or caused the PROBLEM ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only runs with the enrichener on = plugged pilot jet. Replace with a Keihin CV # 48. When the bowl is off remove the main jet holder and let the needle jet fall out then reinsert it concave end up.
Did what you recommended. Pulled carb and dropped bowl. Cleaned main jet and bowl, barely got pilot jet out- was difficult but boogered it a bit in the slot. It was pretty dirty. Could only see an 8 in it since I boogered it up. Got a 48 at HD and new o ring gasket. Now its running like a champ. There was some crap in the bowl and now all cleaned up. Then I adjusted the idle and no issues when I push choke in. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Use some carb cleaner and run with the seafoam. that should get it. She's been sleeping a while. Not going to snap awake!

If it was running right when pops was riding, the jetting is still good. Don't mess it up. Just clean that carb good. Including all the jets. Don't poke anything in the tiny holes, just carb spray..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts