Harley Davidson Forums banner

Harley-Davidson Acquires StaCyc, Expanding Electric Portfolio

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kd5cqt 
#1 ·
Stock is up $1.30 on this news today.... Electric bicycles for the kiddos, who would have thunk it?

Harley-Davidson Acquires StaCyc, Expanding Electric Portfolio

10:04 AM ET 3/5/19 | Dow Jones

By Michael Dabaie

Harley-Davidson Inc. said Tuesday it acquired StaCyc Inc., which makes electric-powered two-wheeled bikes designed for children.

StaCyc, which entered the market in 2016, designs and sells Edrive bikes with a suggested retail price range of $649 to $699. StaCyc models are sold in the U.S. through powersports dealerships, including 29 Harley-Davidson dealerships, online and in specialty bicycle retailers.

Financial terms of the deal weren't immediately disclosed.

The acquisition of StaCyc expands Harley-Davidson's electric portfolio, as the company has been facing pressure to find new riders outside of its core customer base. Harley-Davidson previously announced plans to launch LiveWire, an electric motorcycle, this fall and lightweight and middleweight electric motorcycles starting in 2021.

The median age of U.S. motorcyclists rose last year to 50 from 45 in 2012, trade group Motorcycle Industry Council said in a recent report, and Harley has said the percentage of Americans 18 and older who own at least one of its motorcycles has been flat. Harley said StaCyc's bikes "will provide an entry point for the youngest riders to enjoy the thrill of riding."

Harley-Davidson branded versions of StaCyc's 12-inch and 16-inch models will be sold through some Harley-Davidson dealers. The branded products will be available in the U.S. in the third quarter, the company said.

Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales declined in 2018 from a year earlier, as sales in the U.S. fell 10%. The company expects world-wide shipments of its motorcycles this year to be between 217,000 and 222,000, however that level is below the 229,000 Hogs shipped in 2018.

See less See more
#5 ·
My guess is they are counting on well-off grandparent riders to buy them for the next gen. I think it's a smart move. The price is a little high IMHO, but this could lay some groundwork for the kids today as HD riders in the future.

#6 ·
I saw on tv today (8/8/19) that HD stock price was up 3%

#7 ·
HOG $38.85 -1.22%
PII $100.31 +1.25%
Harley Downgraded As Touring Segment Competition Rises -- Market Talk
November 04, 2019 09:24 ET (14:24 GMT)
- A new Indian motorcycle from Polaris will pressure Harley-Davidson's command of the touring-cycle niche in the domestic market, analysts at KeyBanc Capital Markets say as they downgrade shares of the Milwaukee-based company. Harley hasn't faced many rivals of late for touring bikes, according to the KeyBanc analysts, but Indian's Challenger bike, introduced Oct. 29, "surpasses its competition in almost every important metric" and threatens Harley's 80% market share in the segment. Harley "has a lot to lose here," they say, including, potentially, a 25 cents of earnings per share. Harley shares are down 1.8% premarket, while Polaris shares are unchanged.

#9 ·
- A new Indian motorcycle from Polaris will pressure Harley-Davidson's command of the touring-cycle niche in the domestic market, analysts at KeyBanc Capital Markets say as they downgrade shares of the Milwaukee-based company. Harley hasn't faced many rivals of late for touring bikes, according to the KeyBanc analysts, but Indian's Challenger bike, introduced Oct. 29, "surpasses its competition in almost every important metric" and threatens Harley's 80% market share in the segment. Harley "has a lot to lose here," they say, including, potentially, a 25 cents of earnings per share. Harley shares are down 1.8% premarket, while Polaris shares are unchanged.
:rofl:

I love when non-riders try to grasp "If I have to explain, you would not understand".
This reminds me of the whole rating system on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics will almost always score the opposite of the general public.

I bought a couple shares of HD a few years back at $65. Yeah, I lost a couple hundred $. Polaris did nothing to HD with Victory and they sure won't do much with the revived over and over again Indian name. Face it, we are old and the market is declining because the younger crowd can't handle the bugs, dehydration, lack of cup holders and no AC.

#10 ·
I have seen the new kiddie electric bike. cute, but they have 3 or 4 power settings, and if DaDa doesn't read the owner's manual and set the motor up for junior, I fear there are going to be a bunch of them dumped over the rear end with a lot of force. The torque on these things is unexpectedly fierce. On the other hand, if these things were available when I was a kid, there'd have been whining in every household to get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.