Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 09 SG but was asked about the extended warranty. I have read many questions and answers on this forum and others. I have noticed no one has ever asked if the warranty for those that purchased it, covered what they said

"Travel Protection: Reimbursements provided for a rental car, pickup charges, hotel and your meals*. We'll never leave you stranded."

Does anyone have experience with this? I have read many a person with extended warranties waiting parts but none of them stated that they were provided a rental car or bike rental?

Thanks

Mike

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Good question Mike. I'm interested in the answer to that myself and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
You can get the same thing through a HOG membership a lot cheaper. I used the towing twice. Once for a drive belt and once for a flat. I cancelled my E Warranty right after I got my V-Rod and found out it doesn't cover squat if you like to mod you bike at all. Saved me $1500 on my statement when I killed it. My 2 year runs out next month, but I think I'll be fine.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I was in the repair business for 35yrs. extended warranties are there to increase the factories income otherwise they would never sell them. In most cases people never use them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its come down to this. After reading the contract I see many exceptions which create loop holes in which you may or may not be entitled. Since I have put forth all my pocket change to acquire a new 09 Street Glide & I think I may wait and just pickup a CAA membership which will provide towing if required. Depending on how the bike is doing just before the 2 yr warranty is over I may or may not decide to purchase the e.warranty then.
Wow who knew this was such a sore spot within the HD community. I guess most of the claims begin and end with the administrator who reviews each warranty case and he alone decides if the repair is covered or not.

Lets hope my first HD is a good one and I may never require the use of the e.warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 05 ultra classic that I put had the dealer put a six speed in, the main shaft broke after about 2000 miles, I had an extended warranty, and the dealer replaced the transmission under the warranty, also had a primary seal replaced under the extended warranty
Just bought a 09 ultra SE, and I got the extended warranty on it, for me, it has been worth the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
am soon picking up my 09 flhr i have CAA plus that covers bikes and i will get the extended war. in 2 years. i just want the peace of mind and i plan to leave it stock anyway. ride safe (66 days till march and 20 after that is spring) but who is counting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
e.warranty

I have decided to purchase some accessories when I pickup the bike which will then be covered by the 2 year warranty. Before normal warranty expires I will purchase the extended warranty which will provide an additional 5 years coverage.

This is a compromise I feel comfortable.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I have decided to purchase some accessories when I pickup the bike which will then be covered by the 2 year warranty. Before normal warranty expires I will purchase the extended warranty which will provide an additional 5 years coverage.

This is a compromise I feel comfortable.

Thanks,

Mike
Are you sure it's not an additional 3 year warranty for a total of 5?

·
Road gliding man
61 Posts
Get the warranty if your going to put miles on your bike, don't just let it sit in your garage for 5 years and put 100 miles on your bike in that time.
By then your out the cash and the warranty

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I think its come down to this. After reading the contract I see many exceptions which create loop holes in which you may or may not be entitled. Since I have put forth all my pocket change to acquire a new 09 Street Glide & I think I may wait and just pickup a CAA membership which will provide towing if required. Depending on how the bike is doing just before the 2 yr warranty is over I may or may not decide to purchase the e.warranty then.
Wow who knew this was such a sore spot within the HD community. I guess most of the claims begin and end with the administrator who reviews each warranty case and he alone decides if the repair is covered or not.

Lets hope my first HD is a good one and I may never require the use of the e.warranty.

Thanks
Y'all check the CAA membership closely. The AAA membership does not cover motorcycles unless you buy the RV rider.

With my '07 Ultra, I purchased the extended warranty. It is the first one I have ever bought, but in looking at the electronics on the bike, including a $1,000 radio, I felt it was justifiable.

When I say my first, I should explain that I have been riding almost 50 years and have bought a few bikes during that time. I never felt I needed one until now.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
I just bought an 08 Ultra and got the EW. With all the electric stuff, EFI, computers, autopilot, micro burst radar, satellite phone, Direct TV dish, microwave oven, and headlamp mounted plasma rifle in 40W range ("Terminator" reference), I figured it was a good idea to get the warranty. Like a previous post said, if you plan on doing a lot of mods, you might void it out.. but anything done by your dealership should be covered. And if you plan on putting miles on your bike, which we all HOPE you do, then it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi argie from ny here the extendedwarranty is good if your going to ride as the first 2 years go by fars and for me looking at a trike im doing the extra as its such a new bike from them and shit has a way of happening and can set you back some serious money without the comfort of the extra warranty,i think its a good idea but thats just my spin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts