Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2004 FXDLI LowRider that came with factory custom colors (two-tone) Nebula Yellow & Indigo Blue Pearl. I am hoping someone can provide these two color codes so I can have paint mixed if needed and also to purchase touchup paint. You can see my bike & its colors in my avatar.

I don't know whether H-D still offers its factory custom color program, but in 2004 there were a few offered, of which mine was one. I don't know the names of the others, but one combo I recall was a salmon pink & (I think) black, reminiscent of 1950 two-tone automobile colors.

About 19 years ago, I parked my bike at a gas station and while I was inside, looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to my gas tank on the left side - one deep, perfectly round dent. Took it to a couple of paint shops & they couldn't find the codes listed anywhere & didn't want to try to match that paint. So I took it to Winchester H-D in Winchester, VA dealership & they told me the factory custom color program codes are kept secret at the H-D factory & the factory won't even release the codes or sell the paints to their dealers. Further told me my only option was to either send the tank in to the factory for repair & repainting or to order a new tank painted in my color & w/the original decals. Both options were about the same price & sending in the old tank, which would have been a little less expensive but not much, meant I would be w/o Harley during prime riding season. So, I ordered the new tank & it worked out perfectly; took 3 weeks to get it back & had Winchester H-D install it (they offered to comp the install for me).

Any of y'all who have information on this please share your knowledge here. Thanks all.

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
I'd say you lucked out getting a new tank in the correct colors from the MoCo. That wasn't a very popular color combo so they probably had a few left over paint sets. By the way those aren't decals they're silk screened.

Reactions: brown986

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd say you lucked out getting a new tank in the correct colors from the MoCo. That wasn't a very popular color combo so they probably had a few left over paint sets. By the way those aren't decals they're silk screened.
You could be right but the dealer told me the factory would paint the tank for me. The decals have clear borders surrounding them as if they're stickers & they appear to be clear coated that blends into the clear coating on the tank. Regarding the colors, I have seen them on a Softail, a Deuce, & a Heritage & they look awful on those bikes. But I do like them on my LowRider. Both colors share the same very fine blue metal flake, which is only easily seen in full sunlight. I find it very beautiful.

I bought my bike off the dealer floor @ Patriot H-D, Alexandria, VA. It was my first & likely my last Harley, & I knew nothing about the factory custom color program. If I had known then what I know now, I would have passed.

What about the color codes? Are they really unobtainium?

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
If you really have a custom shop paint set tins there'll be some small numbers painted on the bottom right rear tank just above the rear cylinder rocker box. If not then that paint was an off the shelf tins set. The custom painted tins were all serial numbered.
I would run a serial number check at the MoCo website. Go to Harley's site then sign in and log your bike's VIN and they'll have all the data ever input on you bike, recalls etc..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you really have a custom shop paint set tins there'll be some small numbers painted on the bottom right rear tank just above the rear cylinder rocker box. If not then that paint was an off the shelf tins set. The custom painted tins were all serial numbered.
I would run a serial number check at the MoCo website. Go to Harley's site then sign in and log your bike's VIN and they'll have all the data ever input on you bike, recalls etc..
I learned there were 231 US bikes painted in that custom color combination & 29 California bikes. None for any other H-D market. All it says is keyed to my VIN & regarding colors for my VIN, it only says "Custom colors available" So I called H-D Customer Service & the rep confirmed I had the right data. He asked me to wait & came back on the line after finding my color names & he confirmed what I had already found, Nebula Yellow & Indigo Blue Pearl. The custom color program has been discontinued, although I might argue the unique CVO, etc. colors might also be treated similarly as mine, i.e. "secret paint codes"; don't know. I can no longer order paint from H-D, including touch-up kits. I can no longer order tins in my color code, they will no longer repair & repaint my colors, & even though they have the codes, they won't release them to me or any body/paint shop except for one. There is one independent body & paint shop in Racine, WI, not far from the Milwaukee factory, that does all of the factory's repaint work & the tech told me they "might" have my paint codes & be able to use them.

Luckily, I don't need to paint anything now as all my tins & paint are as new. If I do ever need work done, I will try to find a good painter who believes he can closely match what I have or just respray the whole bike w/something else.

Thanks very much, Schmidty, for your great input. Appreciate it mucho.

Here's a link to an ebay listing for tins from a 2004 Deuce that will give y'all a better idea of what mine looks like.

Edit: The decal, or whatever it is, on the Deuce gas tank is the same as what's on my LowRider. I asked the tech & he told me those decals were unique to 2004 custom color program bikes.

2nd Edit: Oh, & those decals are also no longer available either.

2004 Harley FXSTDI Softail Deuce Paint Set Nebula Yellow Indigo Blue Pearl | eBay .

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I learned there were 231 US bikes painted in that custom color combination & 29 California bikes. None for any other H-D market. All it says is keyed to my VIN & regarding colors for my VIN, it only says "Custom colors available" So I called H-D Customer Service & the rep confirmed I had the right data. He asked me to wait & came back on the line after finding my color names & he confirmed what I had already found, Nebula Yellow & Indigo Blue Pearl. The custom color program has been discontinued, although I might argue the unique CVO, etc. colors might also be treated similarly as mine, i.e. "secret paint codes"; don't know. I can no longer order paint from H-D, including touch-up kits. I can no longer order tins in my color code, they will no longer repair & repaint my colors, & even though they have the codes, they won't release them to me or any body/paint shop except for one. There is one independent body & paint shop in Racine, WI, not far from the Milwaukee factory, that does all of the factory's repaint work & the tech told me they "might" have my paint codes & be able to use them.

Luckily, I don't need to paint anything now as all my tins & paint are as new. If I do ever need work done, I will try to find a good painter who believes he can closely match what I have or just respray the whole bike w/something else.

Thanks very much, Schmidty, for your great input. Appreciate it mucho.

Here's a link to an ebay listing for tins from a 2004 Deuce that will give y'all a better idea of what mine look like.

2004 Harley FXSTDI Softail Deuce Paint Set Nebula Yellow Indigo Blue Pearl | eBay .
How do I feel about this? I believe my Motor Company's policy of not giving me the paint codes is piss ant. They are no longer offering their service of repainting or selling new, so I see no reason for them not to share their paint codes w/me & w/other customers in my situation. The only incentive I can see they have is to "encourge" me to move on & purchase one of their new bikes. They are wrong to believe I will be so encouraged.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,706 Posts
You could be right but the dealer told me the factory would paint the tank for me. The decals have clear borders surrounding them as if they're stickers & they appear to be clear coated that blends into the clear coating on the tank. Regarding the colors, I have seen them on a Softail, a Deuce, & a Heritage & they look awful on those bikes. But I do like them on my LowRider. Both colors share the same very fine blue metal flake, which is only easily seen in full sunlight. I find it very beautiful.

I bought my bike off the dealer floor @ Patriot H-D, Alexandria, VA. It was my first & likely my last Harley, & I knew nothing about the factory custom color program. If I had known then what I know now, I would have passed.

What about the color codes? Are they really unobtainium?
Harley uses primarily PPG paint. Contact Refinish Sales Service. They will be able to tell you if it is one of their colors and the PPG paint code for it if it is.

Otherwise they sometimes use House of Kolor paint.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Harley uses primarily PPG paint. Contact Refinish Sales Service. They will be able to tell you if it is one of their colors and the PPG paint code for it if it is.

Thanks again Kainam!
When I searched on "Refinish Sales Service", nothing popped that was a clear match. I then searched on "PPG Refinish Sales Service" & this came up:
Home (ppgrefinish.com)
Is this what you're recommending?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own a 2004 FXDLI LowRider that came with factory custom colors (two-tone) Nebula Yellow & Indigo Blue Pearl. I am hoping someone can provide these two color codes so I can have paint mixed if needed and also to purchase touchup paint. You can see my bike & its colors in my avatar.

I don't know whether H-D still offers its factory custom color program, but in 2004 there were a few offered, of which mine was one. I don't know the names of the others, but one combo I recall was a salmon pink & (I think) black, reminiscent of 1950 two-tone automobile colors.

About 19 years ago, I parked my bike at a gas station and while I was inside, looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to my gas tank on the left side - one deep, perfectly round dent. Took it to a couple of paint shops & they couldn't find the codes listed anywhere & didn't want to try to match that paint. So I took it to Winchester H-D in Winchester, VA dealership & they told me the factory custom color program codes are kept secret at the H-D factory & the factory won't even release the codes or sell the paints to their dealers. Further told me my only option was to either send the tank in to the factory for repair & repainting or to order a new tank painted in my color & w/the original decals. Both options were about the same price & sending in the old tank, which would have been a little less expensive but not much, meant I would be w/o Harley during prime riding season. So, I ordered the new tank & it worked out perfectly; took 3 weeks to get it back & had Winchester H-D install it (they offered to comp the install for me).

Any of y'all who have information on this please share your knowledge here. Thanks all.
Have you tried color rite ? I’m not sure if your shop will use it or not.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Struck out w/House of Kolor. Harley-Davidson not listed, just automobiles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Years covered on the site are 2008-2019 so @ 2004, Harley isn't covered. Assume if I had the 2 paint codes, it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, appear to be @ impasse but thank you Kainam.
Try a NAPA or some auto body supply shops they have a camera/computer they put against paint and it will tell them how to mix it I believe.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This help?
Choose Your 2004 Harley-Davidson All Models Paint Color | PaintScratch.com
Appreciate everyone's kind efforts, but everything I know about these H-D custom color program codes says no one is going to have these colors listed. Believe the photographic analysis most good paint shops have will be the only hope. H-D doesn't release these codes to anyone aside from one painting company near the Mother Ship, in Racine, WI.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,706 Posts
Appreciate everyone's kind efforts, but everything I know about these H-D custom color program codes says no one is going to have these colors listed. Believe the photographic analysis most good paint shops have will be the only hope. H-D doesn't release these codes to anyone aside from one painting company near the Mother Ship, in Racine, WI.
I would recommend you get the paint straight from the same source HD uses.

Harley does not manufacture their own paint. They work with a major paint supplier. That supplier is primarily PPG, and on rare occasions HoK.

I listed an email address to try for PPG. Last time I had to request a paint code from them, Heather Homan was the person with the info, but that was 12 years ago or so, so she may not even work there anymore. You'll have to email them and find out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would recommend you get the paint straight from the same source HD uses.

Harley does not manufacture their own paint. They work with a major paint supplier. That supplier is primarily PPG, and on rare occasions HoK.

I listed an email address to try for PPG. Last time I had to request a paint code from them, Heather Homan was the person with the info, but that was 12 years ago or so, so she may not even work there anymore. You'll have to email them and find out.
Thank you, Kainam. Early in the morning for me, just got up, & working on first cuppa Joe. Can't seem to find PPG email address; long thread - where did you post that please?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts