Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley davidson just recently layed off all there Retail Parts Sales Representitives Associates that call on the Harley dealers. They are re-structuring due to the economic times. One of my friends worked in the Wisconson area and was told on Monday. They layed off alot of their newer employees, (with Harley less than 2 years.)
Also, production will be cut by 30% on new bikes made. So pricies will stay at a premium, which is good for resale. Bad for the empoyees of harley. HOG stock is trading at $12 per share!

It is a sad state of affairs and I feel for those employees. I guess this is what Harley is doing to stay in the Black. Maybe they didn't need to by that Italian Motorcycle company that doesn't sell many bikes as it is.

Also, they made the cuts even though parts sales are up in the region. Its bull! Leaves a bad taste in my mind.:(:mad::pull

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Harley davidson just recently layed off all there Retail Parts Sales Representitives Associates that call on the Harley dealers. They are re-structuring due to the economic times. One of my friends worked in the Wisconson area and was told on Monday. They layed off alot of their newer employees, (with Harley less than 2 years.)
Also, production will be cut by 30% on new bikes made. So pricies will stay at a premium, which is good for resale. Bad for the empoyees of harley. HOG stock is trading at $12 per share!

It is a sad state of affairs and I feel for those employees. I guess this is what Harley is doing to stay in the Black. Maybe they didn't need to by that Italian Motorcycle company that doesn't sell many bikes as it is.

Also, they made the cuts even though parts sales are up in the region. Its bull! Leaves a bad taste in my mind.:(:mad::pull
I don't know why but it seem like when a co. is in trouble they lay off sales people, don't understand that, you'd think that is when they need their sales staff the most.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
That is a real shame about the employees. I couldnt imagine trying to find a job in these times. Scol thats a very good point.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Saw a blurb,5 million on unemployment benefits, amazing! Although
Government and Hoolywood aint sufferin. People will allways buy fiction and fantasy I guess

·
Registered
220 Posts
Unfortuneately that's part of the hard economic times. I feel for the people getting the pink slips, I've been there. I don't want to think what it be like looking for a job.

Harley is smart company. I've been to the plant in KC where they build the V rod. I was so impressed with the operation I invested in HD stock. While it's trading at $10.77 today I'm still buying more. They'll be back. Tough economic times require tough actions.

Heck they survived AMF.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind the purchase of that euro.co. either, taking in consideration the economy,and the layoffs at H-D. I would've of thought that staying afloat was the idea,versus more aquisitions.:eek7

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Unfortuneately that's part of the hard economic times. I feel for the people getting the pink slips, I've been there. I don't want to think what it be like looking for a job.
Just got a call from a friend about another matter, and right in the middle of the discussion, she says that her father just got laid off.

Actually, the entire second-shift got laid off at the forge that he worked at.

He was there for 20 years, and he was just laid off at 60 years old......:(

He has to find SOMETHING to do for 2 years.....and find Medical Insurance he can afford, as he has diabetes pretty bad and needs meds daily.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Just got a call from a friend about another matter, and right in the middle of the discussion, she says that her father just got laid off.

Actually, the entire second-shift got laid off at the forge that he worked at.

He was there for 20 years, and he was just laid off at 60 years old......:(

He has to find SOMETHING to do for 2 years.....and find Medical Insurance he can afford, as he has diabetes pretty bad and needs meds daily.
Dave he may qualify foe SS disability with the diabetes and purchase med ins. through SS. Just a thought. Is he a vet. there could be help there also.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Not sure, Scol.... I'm looking into a few things for him, if not, calling in a few favors, and maybe find him a job. He's a good Joe, too. had enough hard knocks and this is just another one on his list....

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Not sure, Scol.... I'm looking into a few things for him, if not, calling in a few favors, and maybe find him a job. He's a good Joe, too. had enough hard knocks and this is just another one on his list....
Crap like this seems to happen when the person needs it the least, hope all works out for him. Good luck. :thumb

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind the purchase of that euro.co. either, taking in consideration the economy,and the layoffs at H-D. I would've of thought that staying afloat was the idea,versus more aquisitions.:eek7
It was sound reasoning at the time... last summer. This prestigious brand will help H-D place more of their product in international locations -- the engine for H-D's future growth given the saturation here. Plus, the sporting models of MV will open new markets... necessary given the demographic pool of the typical H-D buyer is shrinking.

That said, if H-D's crystal ball could have forecasted what is happening now, I doubt they would have made the acquisition.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
It was sound reasoning at the time... last summer. This prestigious brand will help H-D place more of their product in international locations -- the engine for H-D's future growth given the saturation here. Plus, the sporting models of MV will open new markets... necessary given the demographic pool of the typical H-D buyer is shrinking.

That said, if H-D's crystal ball could have forecasted what is happening now, I doubt they would have made the acquisition.
If they (H-D) locked them selves into that deal when things were booming,that mkes sense,too bad they couldn't walk away or have the option in the deal to do so in case of something like this.I guess only in a perfect world...

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

They can turn it around They need to open up their market not just in bikes but clothing also everything is black or orange women pink black or orange, need to lower price's and be more competitive with clothing and other merchandise, parts could stand a good look see also. Bike's If they lower their price's that could bite them in the a$$. If some one bought a bike for lets Say 13,000 then saw same bike next yr. for 10,000 it would p!ss people of maybe newer design that could compete with the rice rockets, if they would fix the things people on this forum complain about that would help. And they need to advertise it to an open market. They can't be exclusive anymore it's a new time. I was talking to my ins. man when I bought my bike, he commented that's an old guy's bike he had no clue what Harley has done in the past few yrs. I showed him on line he couldn't believe his eyes. Just my few thoughts on it, oh I own stock also bought it at $42 a share. Hope they turn it around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts