Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I would consider a much different strategy if I was CEO. Their is way to much risk and expense in trying to be all things to all riders. HD has a loyal following no doubt that is obviously aging out. However, the "brand", image and traditional designs will always be appreciated albeit by fewer folks right now. I would suggest The MoCo consider the exact opposite strategy. Fewer offerings and lower production capacity. Reduce expenses and factories. Concentrate on their Core Strengths and think more like the British Car manufacture "Morgan". Still thriving (110 yrs) while offering traditional motoring to loyal owners and future owners. Legacy cannot be purchased, it has to be earned. Surely HD has earned theirs.
Olmoose

·
American
27,038 Posts
It’s not just Harley Davidson. Seems the press always likes to tear down the MoCo whenever they can!

·
Retired citizen
23,397 Posts
I think the MoCo needs to cut back on their model lines. The MoCo is wearing down the alphabet, maybe roman numerals next !

·
Registered
49 Posts
This needs to happen. HD can still service its large, loyal customer base, while still diversifying into new segments/markets. The problem is, they've forgotten their roots: blue collar workers who want quality bikes at reasonable prices. People buy used more than new, and can you blame them? Why pay full boat for a brand-new bike when you can probably get a garage queen with low mileage from some dude who thought he was all about it and then realized he isn't.

Whittling down the laundry list of models to just a few on each platform makes sense. For the most part, most of the Softails are very similar. Same with the Sportsters, which may be needing a change anyway due to EU CARB Regs changing. The Street line was a huge swing and a miss. It was HD in badge only. Coming out with some smaller displacement liquid-cooled 300-500cc bikes that are real Harleys is one step forward;. I also think they should consider creating a transmission like Honda's DCT. Make it an option thast has to be ordered from the factory so there isn't so much overhead, and I bet you'll see a line of the younger demographic wanting to get one.This will also help with foreign markets. In Asia, they all ride 250-300cc bikes, they don't have room for an influx of cruisers/touring models, not to mention price.

Lowering prices across the board would help too. Another thing would be to talk to the dealership network and tell them to cut out with the crap some of them have been pulling - it's pushing potential and current customers away.

I have so much more to say on this, but this'll do for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts