Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
With today's crummy exchange rate for US dollars, you would think a buyout of any European company would look like it took a very high price.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
With today's crummy exchange rate for US dollars, you would think a buyout of any European company would look like it took a very high price.
I believe the MOCO is thinking ahead. High price or not, right now they have a lot of money available to invest. They have come to realize that it is indeed a global economy.
I read somewhere that Europe is their fastest growing market.
Also, that the V-Rod is the best selling model there.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
The article above says they have had double digit growth in European sales, I believe for a couple of years.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
They may have had the money in Euros from other European interests already.

Those Italian bikes by several different makers are great machines! I'm sure we will all benefit down the road.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
And now they can continue to grow through a lot of already established dealerships. Probably a good move on their part.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
I think its an awesome move, they gain a 190hp sport bike in the F4RR.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Believe it makes sense for H-D. Both makes are known for their design and prestige. MV is a high end product with nice margins and much growth potental. The name is historic with a high racing pedigree.

The bike (F4312R) is blistering fast. It won last year's sportbike "Master Bike Shootout", beating all other sport bikes with the fastest times around the Jerez circuit. The engine was developed with Ferrari. When aboard it, at above 6K RPM's, one feels as though they're on a jet ready to be launched off a carrier deck.

Have owned two MV's the past five years, but sold the second one this past spring. Zero reliability problems. Motorcyle art, with beauty not just skin deep. This Milwaukee purchase will certainly give some of the competition some sleepless nights.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
Very nice! Was that your bike sfarson?
I may be picking your brains in the future...

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Yeah, that was MV #1, the MV F41000S. A photogenic thang. It is considered by more than a few, the most beautiful thing with two wheels.

Here was #2, the MV F4312R (The 312 is for how fast the bike went on a closed course during development... 312 km/h) (194mph). :eek: If you look closely the bike has the same appearance as #1. It hasn't changed in ten years. This is because MV didn't have the capital to roll out its design replacement, which supposedly the legendary designer Tamburini has already penned. Think of Tamburini as the Willy G. of the sportbike world.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Steve, it is good to hear someone with a positive attitude about this move.
With the deal allowing for satisfaction of MV's debt do you think they might come out with that new design sooner than later?

·
Steve
262 Posts
Yeah, that was MV #1, the MV F41000S. A photogenic thang. It is considered by more than a few, the most beautiful thing with two wheels.

Here was #2, the MV F4312R (The 312 is for how fast the bike went on a closed course during development... 312 km/h) (194mph). :eek: If you look closely the bike has the same appearance as #1. It hasn't changed in ten years. This is because MV didn't have the capital to roll out its design replacement, which supposedly the legendary designer Tamburini has already penned. Think of Tamburini as the Willy G. of the sportbike world.

Wow! Beautiful bike Steve. Why on earth would you ever sell it. New owner is a pretty luck person. :)

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Why on earth would you ever sell it.
Steve has only got room for 9 bikes at once, sometimes when one needs an oil change... it's just easier to get rid of it :rolleyes:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Steve,

Please stop showing me these BEAUTIFUL bikes. Pretty soon I will be homeless with 7 awesome motorcycles. :D

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Steve, it is good to hear someone with a positive attitude about this move.
With the deal allowing for satisfaction of MV's debt do you think they might come out with that new design sooner than later?
Well, I think this makes financial sense for Milwaukee... A prestigious company, bought at a low price, with much upside potential.

As a customer of H-D, I kinda have hesitations. I like H-D as an American company/product only. There's something clean, aligned, and focused about this. At the same time, let the Italians stay Italian with all their flair and passion. Perhaps these distinctions will be worked out.

Tamburini has designed the F4's successor and now it is very likely it will make a market appearance. Curious to see if it will have the sweet lines of the F4, if the bike will be well received because it is deserved, or because who it is from.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts

WOW, definitely stay in the wind curtain.:eek: Nice bikes

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Well, I think this makes financial sense for Milwaukee... A prestigious company, bought at a low price, with much upside potential.

As a customer of H-D, I kinda have hesitations. I like H-D as an American company/product only. There's something clean, aligned, and focused about this. At the same time, let the Italians stay Italian with all their flair and passion. Perhaps these distinctions will be worked out.

Tamburini has designed the F4's successor and now it is very likely it will make a market appearance. Curious to see if it will have the sweet lines of the F4, if the bike will be well received because it is deserved, or because who it is from.
I think it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Buell line. Is there room for both?

You bring up a good point regarding reception of the F4's successor. Some folks will simply sour on it because it is not from HD and others because it is associated with them. It is all too silly in my view.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I think it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Buell line. Is there room for both?

You bring up a good point regarding reception of the F4's successor. Some folks will simply sour on it because it is not from HD and others because it is associated with them. It is all too silly in my view.
That is a good question. I think the Buell line will remain (It currently outsells the exclusive MV). More Buells are sold overseas than here, and overseas is H-D's future growth engine. Plus, the Buell is distinct from MV Agusta. Most sportbikes (Triumph excluded) are booming/torquey twins (like Buell) or howling inline 4's (like MV). Harley would now have both covered, plus, there could be some technology/innovation exchanges between the two divisions. I guess we'll see!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts